Blender keeps crashing

Scripting in Blender with Python, and working on the API

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Lalala

Blender keeps crashing

Postby Lalala » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:32 pm

Blender keeps crashing when I use it for more than about 10 minutes. I assume this is a python problem but it may not be. I know that it isn't crashing because of the amount of polygons because it has been doing it on very low poly models, but was working fine a few days ago. I don't think it is my computer that is the problem because it is only a few months old and has an Intel i3, 8 GB DDR3 ram and an AMD radeon HD 6870. if anyone could help then it would be much appreciated, but i honestly cant think what the problem is because it freezes, then the screen goes blank and it comes back up not working. A couple of times a box comes up after this telling me that the graphics card drivers have failed and re started, but i don't think this happens every time. thanks in advance, Owen

stiv

Postby stiv » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:44 pm

The two most common causes for crashes are bad graphics drivers and running out of memory.

If you are running out of memory, you will see messages about 'calloc returns nil' and some big numbers if you run blender from the command line.

For video driver problems, the usual solutions apply:

update drivers from the card manufacturer's site

turn off eye candy like compositing window managers, and transparent themes

sometimes it helps to turn down hardware acceleration

Lalala

Postby Lalala » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:51 pm

Thanks for that. I actually realized that there were new AMD drivers soon after posting this and the problem seems to have been fixed. now I know to regularly check.

Bizla

Postby Bizla » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:49 pm

Lalala wrote:Thanks for that. I actually realized that there were new AMD drivers soon after posting this and the problem seems to have been fixed. now I know to regularly check.

Thats strange, i just got my new custom built PC today, and i thought it had been put together wrong with the driver keep failing in blender till i saw this post, thanks for saying about the driver :) but strangly my card is also a radeon HD 6870

Lalala

its happening again

Postby Lalala » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:24 pm

Bizla wrote:
Lalala wrote:Thanks for that. I actually realized that there were new AMD drivers soon after posting this and the problem seems to have been fixed. now I know to regularly check.

Thats strange, i just got my new custom built PC today, and i thought it had been put together wrong with the driver keep failing in blender till i saw this post, thanks for saying about the driver :) but strangly my card is also a radeon HD 6870

yep it is the drivers or something. blender is crashing for me again. if i get too many polys i think then the graphics drivers stop then restarts. this causes blender to crash and not save and is annoying. i don't know how to fix it because my drivers are up to date.

Smjaek

Postby Smjaek » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:50 pm

Happens to me aswell with my Radeon HD 5850. Also got the latest drivers.. Never even once had any problems with my Nvidia Geforce 6800 tho. I guess Im not buying this AMD/ATI crap again.

CliveP

Postby CliveP » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:42 pm

I've started getting crashes as well - always when I'm middle mouse button click and dragging to change the view in the 3D window.

I'm using an ATI 5670 - with drivers I updated yesterday

With simple models in the view it seems OK, the problem happens when I've imported a character mesh with my own importer (3K faces and around 60 bones). I think I've made a mistake by showing all labels - I don't know if that may be confusing the display code

poptartboy

Postby poptartboy » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:41 am

Smjaek wrote:Happens to me aswell with my Radeon HD 5850. Also got the latest drivers.. Never even once had any problems with my Nvidia Geforce 6800 tho. I guess Im not buying this AMD/ATI crap again.

Yeah I'm using the R6850 I have the same issue after using blender for about 5 minutes or less, it just crashes it turns black then windows notifys me that my display drivers have stopped working and have been recovered" please someone help I updated my drivers and everything Just doesn't work I have plenty of memorys 8 GBs ram And I was using a tiny little model thing

CoDEmanX

Postby CoDEmanX » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:11 am

disable VBO and maybe switch draw method from automatic to overlap.
I'm sitting, waiting, wishing, building Blender in superstition...

poptartboy

Postby poptartboy » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:34 pm

CoDEmanX wrote:disable VBO and maybe switch draw method from automatic to overlap.

How do you disable VBO? Sorry I'm fairly new to blender, also i'm using a AMD R6850 I heard that this isn't supported in allot of things in blender. I also believe its causing these frequent crashes in blender for me. Could you tell me if switching to a nvidia graphics card would solve this issue? If so are there any good nvidia graphics cards for 100-200$ range? Thanks allot in advance for any help.

CoDEmanX

Postby CoDEmanX » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:59 pm

File > User preferences

System tab

Middle column, [x] VBOs <-- untick if it's checked

Click Save user settings button left bottom of the preferences window

If that doesn't help, try changing the Window Draw method (below VBOs). You gotta try different settings. Triple Buffer caused trouble for me with Intel HD driver before last driver update, but doesn't mean it could be your problem.
I'm sitting, waiting, wishing, building Blender in superstition...

poptartboy

Postby poptartboy » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:23 pm

CoDEmanX wrote:File > User preferences

System tab

Middle column, [x] VBOs <-- untick if it's checked

Click Save user settings button left bottom of the preferences window

If that doesn't help, try changing the Window Draw method (below VBOs). You gotta try different settings. Triple Buffer caused trouble for me with Intel HD driver before last driver update, but doesn't mean it could be your problem.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!! The VBOs didnt help but the window draw method did! I almost bought a new graphics card for nothing ! thanks man

Return to “Python”