can't get into game panel by pressing "P" or start

Blender documentation projects, tutorials, translation, learning & teaching Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

unpickme

can't get into game panel by pressing "P" or start

Postby unpickme » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:36 am

I would really appreciate some help with this.

I am setting up action where a hand drops a pair of scissors. I have animated the fingers opening over 120 frames. However when I hit P to go into game play nothing happens. If I select the hand rather than the armature the hand appears in the gameplay window at rest - unposed.
If I select the scissors and P it works, but this isn't going to help.

I can't find anything in any posts that relates to this, any ideas?

unpickme
unpickme

Camas

Postby Camas » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:40 pm

Are you in edit mode, or object mode?
-Josh

unpickme

Postby unpickme » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:19 pm

hi,

thanks for replying.

I tried both modes. With some tweaking I was able to get into play mode but the animation would not run and the mesh only appeared in the 'rest' mode.

I am pretty sure there is some anomaly between the mesh and the armature, so I am currently rebuilding both from scratch as several other things occurred when I remade just the armature - the armature tree stopped counting correctly after bone 8 and started assigning multiple bone numbers to single bones if I used 'correct' hand skeletal anatomy. I got round this too but other things would not function correctly, so I am rebuilding very carefully. Hopefully I just made some unnoticed error the first time.

I will post if the course of action resolves the problem.

many thanks
unpickme

unpickme

Postby unpickme » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:12 pm

hi again,

so I completely rebuilt the hand.

I added an armature (in object mode) at the centre near the bottom.
I entered edit mode. I selected the armature and extruded to the base
of the thumb (right hand, thumb on right from front), selecting "armature object data" and looking at the display with "names" checked this first bone
is called "Bone".

I added three further bones for the thumb: Bone.001 - .003.
Back to the original armature and I extruded again for the pointer finger:
Bone.004 to the base of the finger, then Bone.005 - .007 for the pointer.

So far the 3D display is naming each successive bone (-1) Armature Bone.007 with the (I think) minus sign appearing in grey is the last of these series of bones.

NOW. I went back to the original armature to begin the middle finger. I selected it and extruded. The 3D display continued to show "(-1) Armature Bone.007 "despite a new bone being created and the bone itself is named "Bone.008" with the "8" overwritten with a "9". The next bone shows "(-1) Armature Bone.007" with the bone named "Bone.010" with the "10" overwritten with "11". Yesterday my attempt at a hand with about 20 bones ended up with about 65 bones. I got round it by extruding the rest of the hand from bone 4 instead of the original armature, but I do not want to go down this path until I figure out what the real problem is.

I am running Blender 2.61 on an iMac using OS 10.6.7

I haven't gone as far as child-parenting to the hand mesh. This is definitely something with the armature creation.

I would greatly appreciate any advice.

many thanks
unpickme

unpickme

Postby unpickme » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:33 pm

I just ran a very simple test

I started a new project.

Deleted the cube.

Created an armature.

Started extruding single bones from the same original armature, like very
primitive fingers.

1st bone - "bone"
2nd bone - "bone.001"
3rd bone - "bone.002" with 3 overtyped on "2".

Same problem.

I'm sure there are people out there who are animating figures just fine on Blender, so it is likely someone else has noticed this too (?)

once again, I would be grateful for any advice on this.
unpickme

Tanmay

action actuator

Postby Tanmay » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:59 pm

hey, game and animation are two difrent things. If u want to play animations in game, u have to do an extra bit of work. Select the armature, go to logic panel and add an action actuator.
<t-t>

unpickme

Postby unpickme » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:12 pm

Thanks Tanmay,

is this new in 2.6?

I recently upgraded from 2.58 and I haven't found anything about this in the online manual for either version. Is there a good link where I can read up on this?

Thanks for your advice
unpickme

unpickme

Postby unpickme » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:33 pm

umm,

I checked my logic block screen and I have already done exactly what you recommend.

I have a keyboard action "return key" linked "and" to "Armature Action", which is the 120 frame animation that plays fine when I hit "play" or "alt a" on the time line. When I go into game and hit "p" (armature selected in object mode) I get the first frame of the animation - an improvement on the "at rest", but if I hit "return" nothing happens.

Logic blocks are covered in the manual but there is nothing there to suggest where I am getting it wrong.

[/u]
unpickme

unpickme

Postby unpickme » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:12 pm

I recently watched the Blender tutorial "Creating a simple game character"

http://cgcookie.com/blender/2010/05/13/ ... er-part-1/

to see if I could find the source of my lack of progress (as chronicled above).

It’s a very informative tutorial, but I am no nearer a solution.

Currently I have modelled a hand and I have 120 frames of the fingers counting down and then releasing. I also have a pair of scissors comprising three objects - two halves plus centre rivet - all "child/parented"ed to an Empty so the halves can rotate in opposite directions around the rivet but fall as a single object. In the logic engine I have keyboard "return"-"and"-"action"(ArmatureAction), which is the name of the 120 frame hand animation mentioned above. I have the scissors held between two fingers, ready to fall. If I play the animation (Alt A) the hand counts down and the fingers open. And the scissors stay where they are - we are not in the game engine so no physics/gravity etc. So I press P.

At which point the hand stays in its frame 1 pose and the scissors vanish.
javascript:emoticon(':roll:')

One of the interesting things in the tutorial is watching David Ward figuring out what to do when something isn't working. At one point he tries to look at his animation and it doesn't work. So he goes to the object settings and, under "parent" he changes "Armature" from "object" to "Armature" and then removes it from the "Modifiers". For David, this solves the problem - he goes back to Game and when he hits the appropriate his character walks.

When I made the same amendment and hit "P" I got the unposed hand. And no scissors. Hitting "return" had no effect whatever - no surprise there.

This is frustrating as I must be doing something wrong but it is unclear where my error lies.

:roll:
unpickme

Tanmay

Postby Tanmay » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:32 am

i think u have not configured the action actuator settings. Make sure that u have applied the correct mode, starting and ending frames, connected logic bricks properly, applied logic bricks to armature(not object).
<t-t>

unpickme

Postby unpickme » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:54 pm

thanks for your response Tanmay but it doesn't seem to be that:

I have the Actuator set to "Action"
In the 3 diagonal square window I have ArmatureAction selected - this was the automatic name that was created when I animated the Armature - and I
have the Armature selected. I have tried selecting start frame 1 and end frame 119 and also 120.

I have connected the 3 bricks.

I have the armature "static" in physics so it doesn't fall, but changing this doesn't solve the problem - it just makes the hand fall.

I have discovered where the scissors are - despite their coordinates being almost at 0, 0, 0 they appear some distance away and therefore fall because they are not held by the fingers of the hand.

Guess I'll just keep looking for the reason, but there seems to be a real lack of information on this out there.
unpickme

Return to “Documentation & Education”