Access to C: drive

An open space where people who use Blender in an academic environment can share progress and the typical problems and needs of academic environments.

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

pavlos33

Access to C: drive

Postby pavlos33 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:51 pm

Hiya,

if we run Blender as a client application or using the portable app version, both allow access to the C: drive through the File Menu.

Even though by default for our pupils, C: is hidden, it is still visible as are all drives through blender.

Can I create/amend an ini file to prevent this?

The "Scratch" application which also allows access to all drives has a facility for an ini file to make certain drives visible - this works a treat.

If we cannot do this I fear the authority will not allow the use of Blender.

Thanks

stiv

Postby stiv » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:25 pm

From what little I know of Windows administration, managing users and groups would be a better way to prevent people from writing to places they should not.

pavlos33

Not useful

Postby pavlos33 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:53 pm

Sorry that doesnt help at all.
Systems and Network is well managed using Group Policies and User group membership.

The issue is even on a secure network - Blender makes avaliable ALL drives whether hidden or not - granted users might not be able to open the drives if network prevents but even showing the drives is a risk.

Unfortunately if this is not solved we will have to choose another program for our needs.

Thanks

ldo

Postby ldo » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:01 am

Sounds like a stupid request to me. You’re trying to blame a defect in Windows security on Blender?? If Blender can bypass this useless “security” measure, then what’s to stop other programs from doing the same?

Either that or you’re fundamentally misunderstanding something about the way to do proper security on Windows. That may very well be so, if you think that Group Policies is a security measure...

ldo

Postby ldo » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:53 am

That doesn’t make sense. The Samba Free Software server that runs on Linux lets you mark SMB shares as non-browseable; don’t Windows servers let you do the same?

stiv

Postby stiv » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:52 pm

granted users might not be able to open the drives if network prevents but even showing the drives is a risk.

I can't imagine that anyone with the slightest knowledge of windows does not know about the C: drive.

Putting on my sysadmin hat, I would rather manage security at a higher level than on a per-application basis. But then, as I said, I'm not a Windows guy.

A Windows networking or security forum might be a better place to ask about this. Let us know if you find a solution. It is a interesting problem.

icy2hip

Postby icy2hip » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:29 am

clearly the problem is not with blender, perhaps u can go frost ur drive c: to disable writing, or other solutions,.just dont blame blender...and if this really true, then we could ridiculously use blender for hacking windows,.. :twisted:
i wanna be on top in our school in using blender, pls, anyone can help me?...

MrJDH

Postby MrJDH » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:49 pm

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of this! Such a shame that great software is not very network friendly - that is if you're bothered about security!

Tehrasha

Postby Tehrasha » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:04 pm

MrJDH wrote:Did anyone ever get to the bottom of this! Such a shame that great software is not very network friendly - that is if you're bothered about security!

Blender is very network friendly. The bottom of this is, essentially, 'Windows Groups' are not a form of security.

Return to “Academic & Research”