Previous Thread  Next Thread

chat icon Loki Render: new render farm app for blender

samuraidanieru

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:27 pm
Hey folks,
I just finished an early release of a queue manager that can be used to run a blender render farm. It's called "Loki Render". Here is the URL to the project page:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/loki-render/

...and here's the short blurp from the project page:

"Loki is a queue manager. It serves Blender render jobs or your own scripts to a pool of clients. This is commonly called "distributed network rendering" or a "render farm". Loki can also boot clients via PXE, making for a quick and scalable pool."

I wanted to put together a queue manager that was simple to setup, use and also had a quick and easy way to add computers to the render pool. To make the latter happen, I used PXE, which is a network boot standard that lets you boot your computer off the network instead of your hard drive. The beauty of this is that once you've setup Loki Render, all you have to do is connect any PXE compliant computer (most newer hardware is) to your network and turn it on, and voila, it's a client in the render farm! It doesn't matter what's on the computer's hard drive. This should be really sweet for hobbyists, because for example you could PXE boot those 3 Windows computers to participate in the pool overnight, and then use Windows on them like normal the next day. This should also be a great help for a larger-scale setup where you need to add, say a lab of 100 computers to your pool; you just turn them on and they automatically join the pool! You can read more about how it works in the documentation that comes with the download.

Note that you don't have to run the clients off PXE, you can also install them manually if you wan't, which is fairly straightforward. If your client's NIC doesn't support PXE, you can still get a PXE boot by using etherboot, and putting it in as a boot option in GRUB or some other bootloader. See etherboot's website and the documentation that comes with Loki Render for more info.

So please give it a whirl and let me know how it goes. It is an early release so it's bound to have some bugs, but all in all this version should still be quite usable.

Happy blending Smile

alt3r

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:55 am
Hi ! I'm trying loki without PXE , it seems to work !
I'm rendering still pictures, but i'm not really sure it uses all of my 2 computers for processing the image...becouse the render time is quite the same .
From the system monitor neither of my 2 pc's has a blender app running during the render.
How can i check if they are working together ?

samuraidanieru

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:34 pm
alt3r wrote:
Hi ! I'm trying loki without PXE , it seems to work !
I'm rendering still pictures, but i'm not really sure it uses all of my 2 computers for processing the image...becouse the render time is quite the same .
From the system monitor neither of my 2 pc's has a blender app running during the render.
How can i check if they are working together ?

Hi alt3r,
The current version v0.3 doesn't support 'bucket rendering' (ie splitting frames into pieces to pass out to a render farm) so you won't see any render speed gains if you're just rendering stills. I hope to add support for this in the future but until then Loki Render is primarily for rendering multiple frames (eg. animation, etc.)

Cheers

Citizen Kane

Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:12 am
Using 0.6.2. After trying many others including DrQueue and FarmerJoe to no avail (they all failed at some point after hours of setting up Crying or Very sad ), Loki just worked out of the box. No network issues, complicated install etc - just a simple unzip. Wow... Thanks! Very Happy

raul1968

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:46 am
Citizen Kane wrote:
Using 0.6.2. After trying many others including DrQueue and FarmerJoe to no avail (they all failed at some point after hours of setting up Crying or Very sad ), Loki just worked out of the box. No network issues, complicated install etc - just a simple unzip. Wow... Thanks! Very Happy

so i spent several days trying to get mentalray sat to work with my ps3 render farm. it just never worked.

I put in loki 0.6.2 and it took maybe 2 minutes to get it to work with blender. so modeling in bender .. animating in maya .. it win win.

lalamax3d

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:40 pm
its working.. but few problems
i am testing this with blender 2.61 , windows 7, x64 version.

1- it doesn't confirm blender executable is correct, but it give option to use any way, and it works, thanks for that..

2- it asks for frame range and output path.. what if i am using muliple file writes ( per layer ) in blender compositing... how it will use those..??

3- is there any chance, to read blender file parameters and write on those locations...??

thanks in advance.
regards, lala

Emo

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:34 pm
Thanks for this. I can't wait to try it out.

Jump to: