Hardware OpenGL Extensions

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

mofo

Hardware OpenGL Extensions

Postby mofo » Sat Oct 19, 2002 10:21 am

Perhaps we all should think about trying to include hardware openGL exceleration. I think it would be easier to do so now, in blenders new beginning. It seems logical to me, but I have no Idea how to do it. Any Ideas? I'm willing to do some of the coding, if someone can point me in the right direction.

"Make it funky."
Blender is Back!

Saluk

Postby Saluk » Sat Oct 19, 2002 8:02 pm

Blender already uses hardware opengl acceleration.

The GUI is based on opengl, and almost everything in the app uses openGL.

If you don't have opengl acceleration, blender run REALLY SLOW or not at all.

So this is already in.

Friday13

Postby Friday13 » Sat Oct 19, 2002 9:36 pm

Funny thing, my computer has been running blender with software-only opengl drivers. Now that i got newer drivers, opengl is faster, and blender's interface is messed up. Buttons disappear and the 3D window does, too whenever i move the mouse away from it. :( :? :x :cry:

talon

Postby talon » Sun Oct 20, 2002 12:47 am

I get the same problem as Friday13 with my computer. I update my graphics card drivers and install OpenGL and Blender goes mental. I end up having to unistall my latest graphic card version if I want to use Blender. :(

Does any one know what the deal is.

Ottmar

Postby Ottmar » Sun Oct 20, 2002 1:31 am

I get the same problem as Friday13 with my computer. I update my graphics card drivers and install OpenGL and Blender goes mental. I end up having to unistall my latest graphic card version if I want to use Blender.

Does any one know what the deal is.

To even start to figuring that out a minimum of 2 pieces of info is necessary:

1: The graphics card (plus version of the driver)
2: The operating System

If it's on linux, a very common problem is Mesa getting installed incorrectly. On windows it tends to be buggy drivers.

mofo

Postby mofo » Sun Oct 20, 2002 5:17 am

I may be mistaken, but i remember reading a thread on this subject at the old blender.nl. I think Ton replied and said that blender does not have hardware rendering support but rather an openGL wrapper. He or whoever said it, also said that hardware support would require major rewrite or somthing to that effect. This post was around the time when Nan first descided to sell the publisher product. Again, I might be mistaken. Either way it would be nice if the game engine would support more rendering effects.

ton
Site Admin

Postby ton » Sun Oct 20, 2002 11:23 am

No, Blender uses plain OpenGL for all drawing, not as a wrapper. In it's lowest level (defining the opengl context) that's the GHOST library. We don't use GLUT anymore.

Whether or not you have h/w accelleration working, depends at the configuration of your system. Nothing Blender can do anything about... except that you have to link to the correct OpenGL libraries.

Here's some info on the testing results we did with h/w compatibility:

http://www.blender3d.com/gfx_compat.html

This is a Windows only doc, and should be extended for other OS's. It's part of the load of docs we have that will be handed over to a group of volunteers to reorganize, and make available for everyone to improve.

Friday13

Postby Friday13 » Mon Oct 21, 2002 10:03 pm

Blender SHOULD be updated for better compatibility. I dont have a high end card like the ones on that list.

Return to “Interactive 3d”