Is this a software bug?

Blender documentation projects, tutorials, translation, learning & teaching Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Boelie

Is this a software bug?

Postby Boelie » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:25 pm

I'm working on my first project in Blender (tower with ivy), and I just found out how to apply shadows. It looked marvelous to me, but suddenly my tower was rendered black and stayed that way ever since :(

I restarted the program several times and try to switch the shadows on and off, but nothing happens. Even if I make a new tower or another shape like a cube it's rendered black. It's also the same when I open my project in another computer. It looks like this:

[img]http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg612/scaled.php?tn=0&server=612&filename=cuqqil.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640[/img]

The tower should be grey with a brick texture instead :( Anyone please?

Boelie

Postby Boelie » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:27 pm

Boelie

Postby Boelie » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:16 pm

My goodness -.- Every new file I created had the same problem, it looks like my project became a corrupted file, which infects the entire program or something...

I totally re-installed Blender and finally the problem was gone (can't be the user settings, also the version on my laptop w/o adjusted user settings shows the same problem after opening the file). But my project is still rendering black. Looks like I have to start all over :C Sucks big time!!

Tehrasha

Postby Tehrasha » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:30 pm

Altered user preferences are stored in the .blend files.

Try opening one of your old files in your new Blender install, but deselect 'Load UI' on the far left side. That will make it ignore any custom user preferences embedded in the file.

Boelie

Postby Boelie » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:17 am

Thanks, that's very good to know for future problems like this! :)

Something else worked, though! While changing the light source didn't work before, it worked in my newly installed version! So I could finally go on with my project. However, the problem seemed to appear when I used a sun in combination with a cylinder and I really wanted to use sun-like light.

But then I discovered Cycles, which didn't know of before. This totally works 10x better, and the rendering problem is gone! So fortunately, I don't have to start all over \0/

Thanks again! :D

Return to “Documentation & Education”