elastic extremities, hair, antennas, etc.

Animation tools, character animation, non linear animation

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

elastic extremities, hair, antennas, etc.

Postby padrino » Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:10 pm

I just started with (well, lets say advanced) character animation one or two weeks ago.
Now I saw in nearly every animated movie something like a follow-through technic.
eg: when an ant walks its antennas go up an down. The effect is, they don't look so static but elastic. It is also used for hair...... I think u understand, what I mean :)
Anyway, is there a button in blender or is there a possibility to do such a thing with armatures?

I tried with an IK_Solver and playing around with the values, but it didn't work well...

Postby ChrisW » Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:49 pm

You are talking about secondary motion systems, like the 'Flex' modifier in Max, or softbody sim's. Something like this would be fantastic, you should be able to assign vertex weight, vertex 'gravity' & amount of flex, then if you animate your character, the vertices of floppy bits would be further modified by the function or script. So it looks like the affected pieces have inertia.

Postby z3r0_d » Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:54 am

you can do some fancy-looking stuff with good weight painting (or subsurf), but to get something that looks physical you will have to do a lot of extra animating.

it works!!!

Postby padrino » Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:13 am

A few days ago I had a very good idea about doing elastic stuff in blender.
And: IT WORKS!!!!

Maybe this is worth a tutorial....but I couldn't find a button like "upload tutorial"

Anyway, I'll try to explain it here:

- first, you need the object, which - later on - should be elastic
- then, use armatures to be able to deform it

- the top part of this object should be movable by an ik-solver
- create two empties: one at the bottom of the object and one at the top (next to the ik-solver there)

- make the ik-solver "copy location" (constraint-menu) of the top empty (maybe copy rotation too, but I don't exactly know yet, if this has any effect on the elastic movement)
- parent the bottom-empty to the armature-system and to the top-empty

now the interesting and important part:
- give the top-empty a TimeOffset of 3 frames (animation-menu)
- playing around with the value of timeoffset will affect the elastic behavior of the object.

- the elastic look will only be visible, when you did an animation with keyframes.
- to move the object, only animate the bottom-empty for the whole system depends on this empty.

That's it!

I hope it helps you a lot!!!
Maybe someone knows a few improvements. :)
I think it works very well now, but it still is NO physical thing...

Return to “Animation”