Please fix the Armatures Speed !

Animation tools, character animation, non linear animation

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

theeth

Postby theeth » Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:07 pm

MSVC 6.0 Serve Pack 3.

If the official build is done using cygwin, that's probably where the slowdown comes from, although I'm pretty sure the official window build is compiled with MSVC too.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Monkeyboi

Postby Monkeyboi » Tue Nov 04, 2003 5:29 pm

I don't know - I didn't even know there was a problem with them. All I know is that they worked well for me when i was working with them over the last 2~3 weeks

Ilac:
For those sorts of small things, I find the NLA too messy. It's much nicer to just rotate the controller bone to the position I want (the amount that the hand is closed) and then just keyframe the controller bone. It gives instant feedback within the 3D view, and it's easy to manipulate the timing etc. within the action window, with the rest of the bones. Its also much harder in the NLA to blend just partially - i.e. if I just wanted the hand in between completely flat, and a closed fist.

Here's a quick .blend file I found in my pile of tests - may help clarify what I mean: http://reblended.com/www/broken/etc/act ... .blend.zip

cheers

Thanks Matt! This is really helpful! You are a very kind person uploading these great files! However it still doesn't change my oppinion that IK is too slow. It is good to learn about other ways of doing finger animation, but what if you had a six armed man where you would want IK for each arm? It is too big a limitation to not be able to use IK more than for a few bones because of speed problems.

theeth

Postby theeth » Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:21 am

I use MSVC 6.0 Service Pack 5.

I think the official release are made using cygwin with GCC, but I might be wrong.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.

- John Lennon

Return to “Animation”