Wish List (it had to be done)

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Mario1981

Re: Python Syntax coloration

Postby Mario1981 » Sun Feb 02, 2003 7:57 pm

McGivrer wrote:It would be Fantastic to get Syntax coloration of the blenderknown and the Pythonknown keywords in the edit window. Is this feature ever been added in the Wish list ?
McGivrer.

Yes, i agree, it would be really useful :)

but you can edit your Python scripts also in some other editor, like emacs, scite or vi which do syntax highlight , then reload in blender using Ctrl-R

kaktuswasser

Postby kaktuswasser » Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:05 pm

camera keys, so that you can dynamically switch the cameras during an animation.

cya henrik

Friday13

Postby Friday13 » Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:42 pm

The ability to set paths for particles, so they don't have to go all in one direction.

Also cloth/fluid/hair effects integrated in blender.

kevin

Postby kevin » Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:34 pm

What about a list of what there already is?
Because i'm sure some things said in here already exist in blender :D

meestaplu

Postby meestaplu » Fri Feb 14, 2003 8:15 pm

I know zero about the OpenGL API right now, so I don't know how hard this would be to do...Is it possible to force use of a 32 bit zbuffer for modeling? (if the OpenGL driver for the card supports that, of course) If forcing it is not viable, is it possible to provide an option to set the zbuffer depth?

I have a 3dlabs Wildcat card, so I can force Blender to use a 32 bit zbuffer -- everything looks great with that set. My Geforce2 also supports a 32 bit zbuffer, but Blender will always use a 16 bit one; because of that small objects look terribly wrong.

Matt

Gerry

Postby Gerry » Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:08 am

Most of the wishes for modifacations to the interface are already there, I find the blender interface to be very effective and don't realy want to see it changed.

One new feature I'd like is to be able to save renderd images as .bmp. I know I can convert to .bmp outside of blender but it's a pain.

What I'd realy like to see though is bilt in fur/hair support. That would make life soooo much simpler as thoughs are posibly the hardest posible things to modle and texture properly.

Friday13

Postby Friday13 » Mon Feb 24, 2003 8:58 pm

OK, get ready for this, just a "short" wish list i made...

-integrating the material library (by SirDude?) in the material editor (so we can have lots of material/texture presets)
-coding all the good texture plugins in the texture buttons.
-faster software OpenGL rendering for the interface (if possible)
-an A.I. system for animating crowds.
-using presets in the eefects window.
-integrating the external sequence plugins in the sequence editor
-better antialiasing (possibly adaptive AA)
-removing buttons and options that aren't used by anyone :P
-painting textures directly on meshes
-mesh unwrapping
-more primitives
-fur/hair/grass, cloth and fluid animation
-backface cull for the renderer (if it's not there already)
-gravity for particles (same as above)
-beveling edges
-integrated GI/selective raytracer (yafray?) as an alternative to the scanline renderer.
-software drawing for the menus.
-more import/export formats (3ds, obj, lwo, rib, pov, and a lot of other 3D software/renderer formats)
-clean up the code to reduce file size (remove support for IKAs and old things like that...)
-change the blender python api to py2.2 (if that hasn't been done already)
-better blender video player :P
-make the blend file type more compact (if possible) and also the ability to load blend files from compressed (zip,tgz,ace,rar...) formats.
-fix the OpenGL hardware antialiasing but that i've been hearing about.
-work more on the render daemon (or start another network rendering system)
-speedups for the whole thing (the overall program speed?) (not that it's slow, but making blender the fastest 3D app won't kill anyone :P)
-more sound formats for the game engine
-change the image loader so that it only displays a preview on the selected file
-faster/better motion blur
-change the polygon limit to 2x the current one...or just remove the limit!
-mesh to nurbs conversion
-more modeling tools (specially for the nurbs, they really lack modeling tools) to make things easier for everyone
-multi-language support (and the ability to change it directly using some sort of "language pack")
-a bug report system where blender saves the bug in a log that can be sent to the bugtracker
-a "render from command line" option (where the current file is saved, the GUI shuts down, leaving only the command line render)
-prompt for saving files when exiting blender
-add a "previous files" option in the File menu so you can load one of the last files instead of having to look for it(if that hasn't been done...)
-automatically place extensions when saving an image/file or exporting
-an undo/redo function (at least with a 5 undo/redo limit!)(and also remove the temp. file saving)
-add support for truetype fonts
-object collision (rigid body dynamics?) for the animation/rendering side
-try to find a method for getting env maps to reflect each other in animations
-patch objects?
-add a "help" option that links to a user selected Blender manual
-add some links to important sites (elYsiun, blender.org, etc) for when blending online

End of wish list
Some of the features on that list may already be there, it's just that i haven't been paying much (or NONE at all) attention to Blender lately.
So don't start a flamewar is there's an existing feature in there :P :P

Goofster

Re: Python Syntax coloration

Postby Goofster » Wed Feb 26, 2003 4:44 am

McGivrer wrote:It would be Fantastic to get Syntax coloration of the blenderknown and the Pythonknown keywords in the edit window. Is this feature ever been added in the Wish list ?

McGivrer.

heh, didn't even see your post and I came up with the same idea.
not entirely done yet, but VOILA!
http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=995

Roel

soul_crash

overblown wish list

Postby soul_crash » Thu Feb 27, 2003 9:00 pm

game engine:
-fix that nasty alpha bug in the game engine (that's the big one)
-mesh key in the game engine. those bones are cool but have a ton of slowdown.

modeling:
-new size algorithm. more like... proportional instead of... whatever it uses. i'm sure there's more to it then what i understand but it would speed things up a LOT for me and i'm sure, others as well.
-non-geometry based modeling tools. i know that blender can't render things that aren't real geometry since it doesn't ray-trace but what isn't true grometry when modeled could probably be converted and rendered pretty easily. maybe not since i'm not familiar with blender's code but it sounds pretty realistic.
-wourk around that weird stretching that occurs when you wrap a texture onto a sub-surf with UV coordinates. i have tried for hours to fix this but no matter how much i move the polys around it still gets bent, stretched and squeezed with the patterns of the surface. i'm not really sure if there would BE a way to work this out besides converting to a mesh and spending years fixing it but... eh, i reguard you blender guys as gods anyway so why not make outlandish requests ^_^

rendering:
-inverted lamps?
-when shadows are cast from a spot lamp it tends to be lighter towards the parts of the object tat are nearest the floor where it should be darkest. now i know this can be corrected by using like, 5 lamps in place of every one but i'm willing to bet it could be worked out somehow, right?

please note that these aren't requests, just wishes. i know one day blender will be more or less perfect and be able to please everyone but for now i'm very happy with what we have. blender is AWESOME and i have thought so since the early betas from the old old old old blender website and it's improving all the time. thanks!

ilac

Re: overblown wish list

Postby ilac » Thu Feb 27, 2003 9:19 pm

soul_crash wrote:-inverted lamps?

Just press Negative in the lamp settings (bottom on the left)

soul_crash wrote:-when shadows are cast from a spot lamp it tends to be lighter towards the parts of the object tat are nearest the floor where it should be darkest. now i know this can be corrected by using like, 5 lamps in place of every one but i'm willing to bet it could be worked out somehow, right?

Decrease the bias setting in the lamp settings ( bottom middle)

soul_crash

Re: overblown wish list

Postby soul_crash » Fri Feb 28, 2003 12:57 am

Just press Negative in the lamp settings (bottom on the left)

now THAT i can't believe i overlooked ^_^

Decrease the bias setting in the lamp settings ( bottom middle)

no, this does not fix the problem. the bias only lowers the difference between the different shadow map values. (i.e. 0.01 would be totally black) the problem is that blender handles the lamps in reverse.

yeah, i've played with the setting quite a bit and it never renders correctly. the problem is that it renders the shadow relating the object's geometry to the light instead of relating it to the surface the shadow is cast on. at least that's the way it seems, i could be very wrong but by the way the spot lamps work that seems to be the case.

anyone got info on this?

Friday13

Postby Friday13 » Sun Mar 02, 2003 7:12 pm

soul_crash, try posting that in the Rendering forum (if you haven't already). They might tell you how to solve the problem or see if it's really a problem in the renderer.

Feature wishlist (continued):
-improve compatibility with more video cards.
-shadow colors? (i don't know much about this...)
-shadows for particles
-add the new options in the menu bar (i don't see Add>>armature or Add>>monkey options in the Add menu on the info window. Not that the menu bar is very used, but just to make sure the program looks more organized :P)
-rename "Surface" objects to "Nurbs".
-always save in the better compressed .blend file format and remove that "file options" thing, since it won't be needed if this feature is added :)
-by the way, what is that blue/yellow thing in the corner of the blender executable icon? if it has anything to do with the locked version of blender publisher, fix it! :)

More to come...
:D

LukeW

Postby LukeW » Mon Mar 03, 2003 4:42 pm

- Optional frame skipping in the animation preview to show animation in real-time
And if you can make a sound file play when the animation begins, the animation will be synchonized. (rather than possibly go too slow for the sound)

- Taking advantage of fast OpenGL cards to render animations
see my post here

- Making the text editor use the Windows/Mac/etc clipboard
The text editor in Blender 2.26 uses Ctrl-C to copy text, Ctrl-X to cut text (copy and delete) and Ctrl-V to paste text, just like other Windows programs do.
Unlike other Windows programs, the text stored on the Windows clipboard can't be pasted into blender - and the text copied from blender can't be pasted into other Windows programs.

Maybe Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V/Ctrl-X could work like this:

Copying/Cutting text:
If it is Windows, copy the text to the Windows clipboard.
If it is the Mac, copy the text to the Mac clipboard, etc.
If it is an OS that doesn't have a shared clipboard, do what blender normally does.

Pasting text:
If it is Windows, try extracting some text from the Windows clipboard (even though it might be in rich text format in the clipboard) - if that fails, do nothing.
If it is the Mac, try extracting some text from the Mac clipboard (even though it might be in rich text format in the clipboard) - if that fails, do nothing.
If it is an OS that doesn't have a shared clipboard, do what blender normally does.

Skelet

Postby Skelet » Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:13 pm

-Adding a vertex groups they shoud be called Bone, Bone.001, Bone.002 etc.
-Material preview coud have one else button like "current selection".
-Resume render Button.
-Editable interface color.
- !!! Full Screen Mode !!!
-Default button for adding shoud be "Add New"
-Rmove a Video card bug (I dont actualy remember, Ge force I guess)
The Skelet

Friday13

Postby Friday13 » Thu Mar 06, 2003 8:07 pm

And my wishlist continues...!!

-Increase or remove object amount limits
-Increase texture size (resolution) limit (if there really is one, i think there is...)
-Fix import bugs (if there are still any...)
-A smart decimator that only removes all polygons that are not really needed (while preserving all the detail in the model)
-Faster rendering of halo's?

Return to “Interface & Tools”