Wish List (it had to be done)

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Friday13

Postby Friday13 » Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:36 pm

Small addition to my wishlist:

-random rotation of dupliverted particle objects (it's kinda lame that they all have to go in the same direction without rotating....)

Skelet

Postby Skelet » Sun Mar 09, 2003 12:04 am

You shoud make a new way, how background picture is shown... For now it's wery hard to work with it, it uses too much resources of the computer :cry:
The Skelet

Friday13

Postby Friday13 » Sun Mar 09, 2003 8:19 pm

I wonder if developers are reading this long wishlist (otherwise, this forum thread is kinda useless :P)

jd-multi

Postby jd-multi » Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:36 pm

chance open gl version into 2.0 for blender, chance the physic sphere which is used for the dynamic use in game engine, make something like, convert mesh to physic mesh. and increase the usedage of vertexes in game engine from 10.000 to something like 50.000 then it will be very popular as free game engine. I'll hope they do this. :shock: :D

Friday13

Postby Friday13 » Fri Mar 14, 2003 8:49 pm

OpenGL 2.0 is out? When did that happen? As far as i know the latest version of OpenGL is 1.4 (and only newer video cards support it). Version 2.0 is in the works, but won't be done for now (and only the newest video cards [at the time when it's released] will benefit from it)

ilac

Postby ilac » Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:18 am

Friday13 wrote:I wonder if developers are reading this long wishlist (otherwise, this forum thread is kinda useless :P)

What might be better is if we start official threads with specific headings and add feature requests as well as disscussion about how these features/proposals should be implemented in the same thread. It's happened for some things like the general GUI as well as the material GUI (Wavk's) . Maybe we should start official threads for other sections. It would probably be more constructive for both developers and people proposing ideas alike. This list has become rather long and is too unfocused to be very constructive; at least that is my opinion.

Here's a quick list of possible focused (Modular) threads. Maybe the mods can even add some as sticky threads:

Animation: Armatures, Ipo's, Actions & NLA
Rendering
Game engine
Modelling (mesh Editing, nurbs, primatives etc)
Sequencer
etc.

Maybe before opening these threads we should have a short discussion on how best to divide the various topics. Example: should materials and textures fall under the rendering category or under a section of their own. Should particles be kept with animation? etc etc

More modular threads should lead to more constuctive discussion, and will make it easier to link various proposals and ideas which have to do with the same topic.

Opinions?

Friday13

Postby Friday13 » Sat Mar 15, 2003 5:32 pm

Good idea...but with all these feature requests...we should put them all on a list and separate them into different sections, instead of deleting this thread :P
And maybe, we can put them on the different forums, and as each requested feature is added in new versions of Blender, the requested feature is erased from the list, and new ones are added, to keep the developers glued in front of the screen coding :P

So, people, keep requesting. Developers, keep coding. And YOU...keep blending! ;)

Money_YaY!

Postby Money_YaY! » Sat Mar 15, 2003 6:12 pm

A very simple one.

I have been thinking how I could teach myself to code it .

In the texture paint mode. select a group of faces " window it"
then paint the whole image map white to cover up the picture
then have an eraser to get rid of some of the white.

Ta da ! Texture PaintIng !!!!!

In fact that should just be a simple math variable.

Ooo I wonder ?

Skelet

Postby Skelet » Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:58 am

One else thing... When you adding a vertex groups, they shoud be called something like Bone, Bone.001, Bone.002 etc ...
The Skelet

Money_YaY!

Postby Money_YaY! » Sat Mar 22, 2003 12:57 am

displacement mapping, Not the kind that adds more mesh or needs more
mesh, but the kind that does it's magic during the happy rendering,

^v^

Ian_Christie

Postby Ian_Christie » Wed Mar 26, 2003 6:07 pm

Basically what would be good is

1) Most importantly a useful Undo. I'm fairly new to Blender but have already found that I've done a couple of steps and it doesn't look right or isn't working, the only options are to either use the primitive undo in blender or load one of the incremental saves. Problem with both those is that they go too far back and I have to start the process over again. Incremental saving, manually slows the process down if you do it after every change. I'd sugest that the undo be configurable, so the user can decide how many levels of undo.

2) Maybe making mirroring a single key opperation instead of the 2 key opperation it is now. S followed by X opens up for some problems that I've run into. It remains in scale mode until you either left-click or hit enter, if you keep one hand on the mouse, you can accidentally scale the object when you wanted an exact mirror.

3) More functions should be in the Spacebar meny, I spent an hour looking through menus and buttons, trying to find the above mirror ability, and another hour or so trying to find some place that actually told me the key combination.

Those are my main wishes. Other things would be nice, but can be worked around. Selecting edges and faces would be useful. A function to arbitrarily cut faces would be more useful is areas than the subdivide.

saeZ

Postby saeZ » Wed Mar 26, 2003 7:31 pm

My feature suggestions:

1) I would like to be able to edit meshes by pulling and pushing vertices, like in Maya. It's a bit like molding clay. The user could select a brush of some sort that would provide the shape and intensity of the effect. It would make at least my life a lot easier.

2) WAV/MP3/OGG wave display into NLA and/or IPO window, so that I could make lip sync 100% in blender without needing to jump between tons of programs. The sound display would help me tweak the ipos & armatures. The user should be able to add markers in the sound wave display to ease the synchronization of the animation.

Excuse me for not being able to explain very well. If you take a look at Maya and it's tutorials on modelling, and lip sync animation, you'll see that it has all this dandy stuff integrated. These features shouldn't be even too hard to implement, and I'm sure other users would find them useful as well.

Well just my thoughts... :?

saeZ

ilac

Postby ilac » Wed Mar 26, 2003 8:54 pm

Ian_Christie wrote:2) S followed by X opens up for some problems that I've run into. It remains in scale mode until you either left-click or hit enter, if you keep one hand on the mouse, you can accidentally scale the object when you wanted an exact mirror.

Next time you need to mirror press ENTER to confirm instead of mouse clicking. In other words it's a 3 key rather than 2 key operation as you said but it removes the chance of you scaling size by mistake! 8)

Ian_Christie

Postby Ian_Christie » Wed Mar 26, 2003 9:48 pm

Next time you need to mirror press ENTER to confirm instead of mouse clicking. In other words it's a 3 key rather than 2 key operation as you said but it removes the chance of you scaling size by mistake!

Actually I figured that out at one point, but even then, using the key for scaling S followed by the key that most tutorials say is to delete things X is just plain strange. Now that I know the foibles it's not so bad. Although I still stand by saying that it should be in the spacebar menu too. :twisted:

ilac

Postby ilac » Wed Mar 26, 2003 10:22 pm

Ian_Christie wrote: using the key for scaling S followed by the key that most tutorials say is to delete things X is just plain strange. Now that I know the foibles it's not so bad.

Well it's the XKEY because it means mirror in the X axis. You can use YKEY and ZKEY too, to mirror in their respective axis.

Return to “Interface & Tools”