Previous Thread  Next Thread

chat icon c++

colinn

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:45 pm
Hello.

Is C++ code accepted in blender? I noticed that there isn't much of it other than in the somewhat disjoint game engine.

Is there any reason to not gradually move from C to C++ for some OOP features other than unfamiliarity with C++?

Thanks,
Colin

ldo

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:15 am
Well, there is the fact that it is such a needlessly complicated and cumbersome language.

But then, thatís just my opinion from having written about 100,000 lines of it over several years.

stiv

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:41 pm
Quote:
Is there any reason to not gradually move from C to C++ for some OOP features other than unfamiliarity with C++?

Yes. Re-writing code in another language is pointless and silly.

colinn

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:12 pm
stiv wrote:
Quote:

Yes. Re-writing code in another language is pointless and silly.

I'm not asking to rewrite blender in C++, I'm asking if C++ modules are accepted, and at what level? You mention rewriting code in another language being silly, but I specifically found a case (using Google) where a C++ addition to blender kernel was rewritten in C

I'm trying to avoid having to rewrite any feature additions I make to Blender because of an OOP design I chose that is incompatible with standard C

Myrmecophagavir

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:11 am
Good question, I've often wondered why there's so much pure C in the Blender codebase.

IndieLoner

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:33 am
Blender was released in 1995 and was written prior to that. The official C++ standard was in 1998. There were plenty of C++ programmers, but it is to no surprise that Blender was primarily written in C. And unlike other people say, I would advise that instead of picking favorites in the programming languages, just learn as many as you can, because they all serve some purpose(s) better than others.

Jump to: