connecting rotation of one object to movement of another

Animation tools, character animation, non linear animation

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

connecting rotation of one object to movement of another

Postby stardiaries » Fri May 11, 2012 7:54 am

Hello all,

I have a question which is probably simple - but I don't know what I should search for to do the following:

I'd like to have the rotation of one object connected to the location of another. If possible *outside* the game engine.
e.g.: If I rotate an object in normal Blender mode then another object should be translated by some units.

Thanks for pointing me to the right direction.

Postby stiv » Fri May 11, 2012 3:58 pm

It sounds like Constraints are your friend here.

Postby CoDEmanX » Fri May 11, 2012 9:25 pm

assuming you got 2 cubes, Cube and Cube.001 and you wanna translate Cube on x-axis by rotating around Cube.001's z:

select Cube, go to Object tab and right-click on the first location slider in Transform Panel, click Add Single Driver.

Change the current view to Graph Editor and mode to Drivers. Select "X Location" from list on the left.

Hit N to open the properties shelf. In the Drivers panel, set Type to Sum Values and pick Cube.001 as Ob/Bone, type to Z Rotation.

If it says invalid target, click the Update Dependencies button.

Now rotate Cube.001, Cube should move.

It may do funky jumps, dunno why this happens (seen this for Y rot to Y translation)...
I'm sitting, waiting, wishing, building Blender in superstition...

Postby bill2reg » Sat May 12, 2012 3:11 am

You can use constraints. Use an 'Action' as the constraint type. Select the object you want to rotate, add constraint 'action' and select the control object as the 'target'. Create the keyframe animation for the first object as usual and use the same frame numbers in the constraint. Then set the control dependency (such as x location, y rotation etc.) and the limits (in BUs).

Return to “Animation”