add-on help

Blender documentation projects, tutorials, translation, learning & teaching Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

rjacobson2

add-on help

Postby rjacobson2 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:26 am

i downloaded the masonry add on from(http://sourceforge.net/projects/automas ... 0V%200.56/) then i opened blender, opened the user preferences, clicked install add-on, located it and then hit install add-on. but when i go to enable it, it isn't there. so i then tried the alternative method and dropped the file into the add-on folder in the blender configuration files, and it still doesn't show up in the add-on menu.

i don't know what else to do. if im doing something wrong, or there is a better download link, PLEASE SHARE IT! i've spent hours with this stupid add-on and i don't know what i should do. please help me. thanks

stiv

Postby stiv » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:49 am

The file says it was written for Blender 2.54. I believe there have been changes in the registration process since then.

CoDEmanX

Postby CoDEmanX » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:06 pm

check the script if it has bl_info struct and proper registration code, see

https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-blen ... _simple.py
I'm sitting, waiting, wishing, building Blender in superstition...

rjacobson2

Postby rjacobson2 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:27 pm

@CoDEmanX - i'm not sure how to view the script of the file i downloaded, but in your link is that the script? and if so is there a way i can put that into blender? i'm not familiar with scripts since this is my first time trying to install an add-on

stiv

Postby stiv » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:13 pm

Blender scripts are just text files (like all Python scripts) that you can edit in your favorite text editor.

Just be sure to same them as plain text and not as some Rich Text Format (RTF) or other word processing nonsense.

rjacobson2

Postby rjacobson2 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:38 am

@stiv - so i took your advice and copied the script into notepad and saved it as a .txt file. but when i click "install add-on" in the preferences menu and navigate to the folder, it doesn't show up. the only files i can get to show up are .py files. (im assuming .py stands for python) but when i install it is won't show up in my add-on tab.
any other ideas?

stiv

Postby stiv » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:44 am

and saved it as a .txt file

Sorry for the confusion. Python (and Blender) scripts are text files in the sense of containing human readable text as opposed to binary codes. They should have a .py extension.

You should (hah!) be able to simply rename your .txt files to .py.

Return to “Documentation & Education”