virtual sets for video

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

virtual sets for video

Postby rkaag » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:06 am

Hello all!
I'll start with a disclaimer...I am new to blender so please forgive my ignorance.

I would like to create virtual sets for compositing with video. Blender seems like a powerful tool, perhaps too much for what I want to do. I have played with the textures and materials and have had some success, but this seems like a tool with a significant learning curve.

Should I be using another tool?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Rob (the 'r' in rkaag)

Postby stiv » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:35 pm

It all depends on what you want to do. If simple cartoony stuff is fine, maybe something like GIMP with the animation plugin.

A tool with powerful features will take some time to learn to use it effectively.

Postby rkaag » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:30 am

Thanks for the feedback.

I am familiar with GIMP and could do the basics, but It won't quite fill what I might eventually want to do.

I would start with a simple wall or even a cross-section of a cube with 2 walls and a floor. (The multiple textures is where I'm running into the dificulty. ie: carpet merging with wood panel wall.)

On the virtual walls, I would drop some windows or doors with glass panes and chromakey a video of the outside. Let's say a simple start with a log cabin style interior with a view of a lake.... then maybe a high rise office with view overlooking a city with traffic below and a plane in motion etc.

Eventually, I'd like to take advantage of the blender cameras being able to create an artificial panning etc. This would be my growth path once I get the hang of it.

...but I have to walk before I can run. Do I need separate material/texture definitions for the different planes of the walls...even though they would both be the same cabin log? I just don't know why the planes are merging the textures (among tons of other things I need to learn)

Again, thank you for any insight!

Postby ldo » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:37 am

Perhaps you can do what you want in Blender by giving those door/window objects a movie as a texture.

Hello if you like a good result in virtualsets

Postby isdito » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:15 am

You must to need learn 3d, it is the same blender, Maya, Max but you must have a good Skill, also you must to Know Cs to complement this.

I invite you to see result inside Image

Re: virtual sets for video

Postby neobeluga » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:37 pm

hi, you can easy create virtualsets with blender. i created some sets. but like rkaag say, you need skill!

take a look at my sets here:

Hochzeitsfotograf Gabriel Malgo

Return to “Rendering”