VMWare

An open space where people who use Blender in an academic environment can share progress and the typical problems and needs of academic environments.

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

TParis

VMWare

Postby TParis » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:05 pm

Hello!

My organization has strict rules on what software can be installed on the network and Blender isn't on that list, unfortunately. So I am looking for ways around this. The easiest solution is just to have an unnetworked system on my desk to run Blender off of, but I am wondering: Does Blender run well with VMware Workstation 8 or Oracle VirtualBox? I'm not doing game development. I work at a medical training school and I am going to be creating 150 surgical instruments into 3d models. Think I can do it like this?

v/r,
TParis

stiv

Postby stiv » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:12 pm

The easiest thing to do is unpack the Blender archive somewhere you have access rights and run it from there. No need to install.

An issue with running Blender inside a VM (or anywhere, for that matter) is a working OpenGL video driver.

TParis

Postby TParis » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:49 pm

What if I run one of these options?

http://penguininside.blogspot.com/2009/ ... albox.html

I'm not trying to do anything really intense with 3D. The tools are pretty benign. I'm talking about stuff like this: http://www.ameditech.com/images/products/VE_5_big.jpg

All I need to do is make the object and export it as a .obj or .dae file for use with the Away3D engine in ActionScript 3. Is OpenGL support going to really hinder me?

v/r,
TParis

stiv

Postby stiv » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:51 pm

Is OpenGL support going to really hinder me?

Blender does all of its drawing via OpenGL. No OpenGL means no Blender.

Modeling is affected by drawing speed, but even a software driver is fast enough if it is fast enough.

Return to “Academic & Research”