Are true to life aerodynamic simulations possible in Blender

An open space where people who use Blender in an academic environment can share progress and the typical problems and needs of academic environments.

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

ashinms

Are true to life aerodynamic simulations possible in Blender

Postby ashinms » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:24 am

I'm about to move from DC to Vegas soon and I am looking into increasing my fuel efficiency in any way possible. My personal vehicle is a Toyota Tundra, and my wife's is a corolla. I've been playing with a few configurations for the trip in my head that involve towing the car, driving the car behind the truck, driving the car in front of the truck to cut the air ahead of time, and several different aerodynamic configurations for the truck itself (bed covers, spoilers, tailgate positions, etc.). So far, all of the different configurations have been in my head, though, and I was wanting to do some simple aerodynamic simulations on a computer to figure out the best possible configuration. Are there any Python plugins that I could use that would extend the fluid dynamics simulations in blender that would allow me to get some straightforward metrics on drag and streamlining?

stiv

Postby stiv » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:41 pm

You are looking for some sort of computational fluid dynamics package. I would check for something in SciPy first.

Return to “Academic & Research”