Previous Thread  Next Thread

chat icon What about Linux PPC ?

Piloony

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 11:04 am
Porting Blender under Mac OS X is fine but it also looks like promoting proprietary software! What about Linux for PowerPC (such as Mandrake's)?

We former Mac users who have switched to Linux are not Linux experts. Could someone publish a compiled version for Linux running on a Macintosh? This would avoid us to upgrade our hardware...

Many thanks!

Sonarman

Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:44 pm
Piloony wrote:
Porting Blender under Mac OS X is fine but it also looks like promoting proprietary software! What about Linux for PowerPC (such as Mandrake's)?

We former Mac users who have switched to Linux are not Linux experts. Could someone publish a compiled version for Linux running on a Macintosh? This would avoid us to upgrade our hardware...

Many thanks!

Yeah! I'm using Linux PPC too. I've been able to compile Blender (and run it fine) using jochym's tree (http://rozeta.com.pl/blender). I haven't tried the latest CVS yet, but I'll try it soon. The "autoconfiscated" blender tree was really easy to build, but it segfaults on start up. Hopefully the CVS tree won't do that Wink Anyway, if you can't build/run the CVS tree, here are some basic sucky instructions for building jochym's tree (but you really should try the CVS first):

You'll need python and mozilla, and a bunch of libraries like SDL, libpng, smpeg, OpenSSL and stuff.

First, download it from the source link above (the rozeta)
Then, unpack the tarball, and rename the directory it creates to "develop" (without quotes)
Enter the develop directory, change to the root user, and run 'make'. after a while, it might complain about some directory in ~/obj/ not existing. Make a link from ~/obj/something-i386 to ~/obj/something-powerpc (or vice versa, i can't remember). Run make again (as root). When it's done, you might get some errors about "relocation" and a bunch of Crap. you could probably ignore that. now, just run the blendercreator binary (inside some directory, like ~/obj/something-powerpc/blendercreator), and HOPEFULLY it will work.

Sorry if the instructions sucked Wink

P.S. If someone would give me ftp space, I could probably upload binaries for Linux PPC.

Jump to: