Bind Mesh Position to Vertex Location

Animation tools, character animation, non linear animation

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Jamuro

Bind Mesh Position to Vertex Location

Postby Jamuro » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:49 pm

Hi

I stumbled accross a minor problem recently and hope to find a better way to solve it here.

My Problem ....

I had 2 (well actually more but let's say 2) meshes and needed one to be dependent from the other one.

One of the Meshes was the Main Object and the other one a simple Plane with a Particle System.

Now i wanted to rotate a part of the main mesh and force the plane to adjust its position.
With parenting the two objects together i was able to let the plane follow movements of the main mesh.
BUT only when the whole mesh was moved.

I also need the mesh to move when i only rotate specific vertices of the main mesh.

My Solution was to set key frames and adjust the plane manually ... which sucked and was much work.

TL.DR.: So my question ... Is it possible to make the location and rotation of a mesh dependent of the position of specific vertices of another mesh?

Swatch

Postby Swatch » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:47 pm

Try parenting the second plane to a vertex on the first plane. To do so first select the planned child plane then shift select the planned parent plane. Tab into edit mode, select a vertex, and Ctrl+P. Now simple movement of the first plane won't appear to do much, but rotation and scaling will move the child with out applying the rotation or scaling.

I hope this solves your problem.
Swatch
Swatch the squashed

Return to “Animation”