Lighting Not updating

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

joduffy

Lighting Not updating

Postby joduffy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:04 am

Hi guys,

I created an animation of a rose growing in blender. I can view the created avi file fine on my computer(Windows 7 op) and have tested it on my housemates laptop and another pc(both windows 7 op). Yet on macs and some other computers the video file appears really dark. Not the same experience I get on my own computer.

I then went back into the blend file and tried updating the lighting. But nothing was happening when I rendered. I then added 2 more lights. Still no effect. I went so far as to delete the camera from my scene and hit render. Somehow the scene is still being rendered as if there was a light in the scene!!!!

So my questions are a couple

1) How do I update the lighting in the scene when everything is setup(animation, materials and modeling, even camera control).

2) How can I ensure the created video file remains the same no matter what computer I view the file on.

3) Is there a cache storing old renders that I need to remove. As deleting or adding a light has no effects.

Any help would be appreciated as I have been trolling the internet for ages searching for an answer to this problem. It went so far as for me to start search for another program to create my video files in. But that wouldnt help with my other problem - lighting not updating in the animation after I edit them.

stiv

Postby stiv » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:47 pm

I then added 2 more lights. Still no effect. I went so far as to delete the camera from my scene and hit render. Somehow the scene is still being rendered as if there was a light in the scene!!!!

You cannot render without a camera in the scene. This suggests you are not rendering the scene you think you are.

IIRC, Mac hardware uses a different gamma factor than Windows machines which causes the difference in brightness.

joduffy

Postby joduffy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:35 am

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

You cannot render without a camera in the scene.

I do have a camera in the scene. The camera has animation attached to it. I have also checked to make sure the correct layers are on selected in the render and camera options.

I think the file might have got corrupted so I created a new blend file and re-imported all the models from the corrupted file(through the link option) into the new blend file.

I am now able to render the scene and add and change lights.
I have found a bug in blender though. You cannot change a lamp to type of sun. You need to add it as a sun lamp in the first place. Otherwise it wont work.

IIRC, Mac hardware uses a different gamma factor than Windows machines which causes the difference in brightness.

Will the mac affect only the blend file or the created video file in the end. As i have tested it on another pc yesterday running windows 7 and getting the same results.

Last night I created a new blend file and rendered the animation again with new lighting. So I will hopefully be testing on a Mac sometime over the next few days.

There must be a way to make video files consistent .[/quote]

Return to “Rendering”