Book: Beginning Blender 2.5

Blender documentation projects, tutorials, translation, learning & teaching Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Chris_UK

Book: Beginning Blender 2.5

Postby Chris_UK » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:04 pm

Hello everyone! I was looking for courses on 3D modelling (never done it before) and I have came across the amazing world of Blender!! fantastic!!

Being a complete newbie however I am looking for a suitable book that will teach me from scratch all about Blender and how to use it.

I have looked at Blender for Dummies and Blender Foundations, but all the reviews seem to point to these books being fine for the first couple of chapters, but soon lose their way considering the target audience, so..

I also came across Beginning Blender 2.5 by Lance Flavell, and it seems to tick all the boxes - I just have one question about it really; is it relevant for the latest release of Blender? I would hate to buy the book only to find that it is completely irrelevant for v2.63!

MAny thanks in advance for your opinions

Kind regards,
Chris

Lancer

Re: Book: Beginning Blender 2.5

Postby Lancer » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:50 pm

Chris_UK wrote:....I also came across Beginning Blender 2.5 by Lance Flavell, and it seems to tick all the boxes - I just have one question about it really; is it relevant for the latest release of Blender? I would hate to buy the book only to find that it is completely irrelevant for v2.63!

Hello Chris_UK

I am Lance Flavell, the author of the book Beginning Blender; thanks for your interest.

There are some things which have changed since 2.5, though most of the book is still very much up to date. There was a major shift from 2.49 blender to 2.5+ where the whole interface of Blender (and other things!) was completely rehashed, and Beginning Blender was planned to address this time when the Blender we knew suddenly had to be relearned to some degree, even for experienced users.

I would like to make a 2nd edition at some point, though this may be some time yet. If and when I do, it would basically involve rewrites of the same material (but with any steps which might have changed), a few more exercises to ensure readers aren't overlooking the importance of really practising their modelling (I had very little time to write each chapter of first edition so could not include all the extras I'd wanted) and of course, new technologies such as camera tracking which simply did not exist when Beginning Blender was originally published.

At the same time, I would say that the book is indeed mostly up to date; just a few steps with alterations here and there. The book is set out like a reference guide which you can flip through to look at any particular part of Blender you would like to study; whether that be modelling, texturing, animation, compositing, the games engine etc. That said, I strongly recommend that readers examine chapters 2 and 3 in depth as these outline the Blender interface and essential modelling techniques which are relevant to all other aspects of Blender. I also recommend that you read the book and then interact with knowledgeable Blender users like those found on forums such as blenderartists.org in order to further what you have learned (the final chapter includes links to numerous online resources). Beginning Blender will get you off the ground; it gives you simple examples and projects to speed-learn the key areas of Blender. It gets you to the stage where will easily follow most of the tutorials out there without getting lost, even if those tutorials cover recent aspects which the current (first edition) Beginning Blender has not covered (e.g. camera tracking). After this, the wider community along with your own dedication and practise is really what will get you to fly.

Hope this helps.

Lance Flavell.

Chris_UK

Thank you

Postby Chris_UK » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:52 pm

Lance, what can I say other than a HUGE thank you - who better to comment on a book than its author!

Whats more thats sounds like a very fair synopsis of your book - makes a change to read something by someone who actually wants to teach people and make sure they learn, rather than have an author say its the "best book out there" just to sell copies with little thought to the end user!

I think im sold on the book! next stop: Amazon!

Once again thank you Lance for taking the time to write a superb reply; I look forward to reading the book, learning from your experience and ultimately progressing with Blender in the future!

Thanks again,

Chris

jaykav99

Postby jaykav99 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:22 pm

Sorry to jump onto the topic but I came upon the same book which it says msrp is 50 dollars but all i can find is used versions trying to be sold for 78 to 300 dollars. does anyone know where to get it for the normal price.

Both amazon and barnes and nobles have nothing but the high dollar ones and if you try to buy it from apress it just redirects you to amazon.

stiv

Postby stiv » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:58 pm

Amazon uses some AI pricing algorithms that occasionally give insane results. The other day I saw a used textbook selling for something like $5,000. One on-line book seller you might try is Alibris. I have personally had good luck with them. Usually local book sellers (the brick and mortar kind) will order books for you.

Also, the Blender eShop sells books and DVDs for reasonable prices.

Return to “Documentation & Education”