push, line tool. Modelling, points adding

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

MasterFX

push, line tool. Modelling, points adding

Postby MasterFX » Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:34 pm

These are features that may already be in Blender, but I am pretty new and dont know if it is new or not.

Anyway, Lets get started with points adding:

I imported a 3d file, but it has no points, its just a robot, but it has no vertices. I would need to add points to add vertices. IS there anyway this feature could be added?

Line tool: A tool that would just draw lines from one point to another, and then you could connect other lines. Sort of like point plotting. This would be good if you import an image and you want to trace it from all sides. Sort of like photo modeling.

This brings me to the modeller:

Would there ever be a feature like in photo modeller, where you can import an image and have blender model all the sides of it easily for you?

Push tool:

A tool that could push certain vertices and points forward and out. Good if you are making a face and you want to add more details to the cheecks.

MFX

blendix

Re: push, line tool. Modelling, points adding

Postby blendix » Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:14 pm

I imported a 3d file, but it has no points, its just a robot, but it has no vertices. I would need to add points to add vertices. IS there anyway this feature could be added?

I'm not sure what you mean here. A mesh without vertices is impossible, because a mesh is basicly a collection vertices, that are connected by lines, that are part of a face. Have you tried going into editmode (select object and press tab key). Maybe you should read some (modelling) tutorials. (e.g. Building a Castle on http://www.blender3d.org/Education/).
A tool that would just draw lines from one point to another, and then you could connect other lines. Sort of like point plotting. This would be good if you import an image and you want to trace it from all sides. Sort of like photo modeling.

When you're in editmode, select one vertex, and ctrl+LMB click on the place where you want the new point. To connect two points, select them both and press the F key.
Would there ever be a feature like in photo modeller, where you can import an image and have blender model all the sides of it easily for you?

This seems more like a 2d graphics program tool to me (e.g. http://autotrace.sourceforge.net/), it could be implemented in Blender. But I don't think this kind of thing has a high priority.
Push tool: A tool that could push certain vertices and points forward and out. Good if you are making a face and you want to add more details to the cheecks.

I think sculpting tools would be cool, but could can do similar things using the proportional editing tool.

I think you would be surpised to see what Blender can do when you read some tutorials or read the documentation. If you want to know how you have to do something, it is better to go to http://www.elysiun.com. This is the developers forum.

Carnivore

Re: push, line tool. Modelling, points adding

Postby Carnivore » Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:18 pm

Push tool: A tool that could push certain vertices and points forward and out. Good if you are making a face and you want to add more details to the cheecks.

I think sculpting tools would be cool, but could can do similar things using the proportional editing tool.

Proportional editing = select one vertice of many, hit "O" and move the vertice. While grabbing/etc. an "influence circle" or smth. appears (num+/- to scale)(shift-O to toggle sharp/smooth transistion)

I had to ask, why not model a robot yourself? It would be a good learning experince, you'll have to do it sooner or later ;)

Return to “Interface & Tools”