Previous Thread  Next Thread

chat icon Blender to webGL

Impelluso

Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:27 pm
Good Day Everyone....

I am new to this.

All I want to do is convert a blender scene and view it on a web page

I have been teaching myself blender... (and I can make a test scene)

And I have taught myself WebGL coding... (and have made some simple 3D interactive web pages (buttons, mouse interaction, etc)

Now I need to push the limit to really see if this is what I wish to use for the task I must undertake.

I installed python (as it appears I should).

And at this point I am totally lost.

I do not know what to install and where to install and how to activate it....

... in order to export my blender scene to JSON...

.... in order for my webGL code to initiate a javascript call to open a JSON file (for taht is the format I think I need).

natchiketa

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:04 pm
Hi there,

I know I'm a little late, but since no one replied, I'll try to offer some suggestions, to help anyone else that finds this page, if for nothing else.

I want to learn how to do this myself, so that when I finish making my models, I can publish little shorts regularly on the web, and have the possibility of allowing the viewer to interact with the scene in real-time (maybe switch camera angles, or play with props, without interrupting the storyline (for now).

I haven't really "dived in" yet, but I have a good idea what is required, so this is how I plan to go about it.

WebGL is a framework, as you've probably learned by now. It's not like say, rendering it to a playable format. But it is nonetheless a powerful framework, capable of rendering many of the things that Blender can render. But it cannot do everything.

This much is for certain: if you want to be able to do this as painlessly as possible, try to make sure that your materials and any particle effects, etc, have a direct equivalent in WebGL. Check the WebGL specifications (literature and references for the OpenGL ES 2.0 spec are useful as well, since WebGL is based on that)

Plan out the look of your models, make a list of what materials and lighting you're going to use, and only use stuff that you know for sure can be duplicated in OpenGL ES.

At this point, you can start the process of writing Python scripts (and/or piecing together other existing scripts) which can automate the creation of OpenGL code which duplicates what you've created in Blender.

Having this, you might even be able to have the script trigger a preview in the browser, so that eventually you can it play back in the browser as you're working.

I am going to be working on this myself as soon as I finish with the contract I'm working on now full-time, so I'll probably be able to report back in a couple of months with something less theoretical and more 'how to'-y.

Cheers

Jump to: