Clear cache

Animation tools, character animation, non linear animation

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

johnnysporto

Clear cache

Postby johnnysporto » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:02 pm

I'm trying to use the Boids simulator and keep running into weird problems. I've discovered that one way to resolve a few issues is to clear the cache, but can't see immediately how to do this with regular success. Cntrl + B doesn't seem to work at all and pressing the "-" next to the cache field doesn't seem to always work either.

Is there a clear cache button I'm missing somewhere? Or is there a more definite way to do it like somehow manually deleting?

I'm using the latest stable Blender release on a Windows 7 with an Intel Xeon w3565 chipset. It has 8 cores backed up by 24 gigs of RAM with a 256 gig solid state drive.

I'm trying to run pretty huge Boid simulations. Ultimately I'm trying to get to a couple of flocks of 20,000 discreet birds flocking over a screen of over 5700 pix x 1080 pix. Before that, though, I'm just using flocks of 4000 each that are following a target just to mock up some different possibilities before I animate and render the whole thing. I can get them to follow the target, but every little tweak I make to each of their settings requires a new set of calculations and everything is running really slowly. Additionally, it seems like the emitters are relying on previous settings instead of what I just entered. This is what makes me think I need to be better clearing the cache, which I don't seem to be doing.

One final thing, I look at the Task Manager and it shows that the processors are leaning on the drive rather than the RAM. Is this normal? I kind of thought the RAM should do the heavy lifting not the drive.

Thanks

stiv

Postby stiv » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:18 pm

One final thing, I look at the Task Manager and it shows that the processors are leaning on the drive rather than the RAM. Is this normal? I kind of thought the RAM should do the heavy lifting not the drive.

There should be a button to clear the particle cache (or recalculate it) somewhere. Sorry I don't have a Blender in front of me.

The disk activity is likely from reading the particle cache. This should be faster than calculating them directly. I would expect your OS to cache disk blocks in memory, but that depends on a whole bunch of things.

Return to “Animation”