Best book to use to learn Blender

Blender documentation projects, tutorials, translation, learning & teaching Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Otakufemme

Best book to use to learn Blender

Postby Otakufemme » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:29 pm

Hello everyone! I wanted to see if there are any suggestions to the best book available to learn the most current version of Blender. I know there are tons of online tutorials available, but I've come to find out I learn better from a book when starting out with new software. (Yes I know I'm weird but I've accepted this. :D ) I want to learn how to do basic to complex modeling of objects (books, cars, plant life, etc), some character modeling, and environment/architecture scenes.

There are two books I'm currently looking at that I may end up buying from Amazon and want to see if there are better books out there or if there two are the best choices for now. (I also know Blender changes all the time so I wanted to get something closest to the newest version as possible. )

The 2 books I'm looking at are:

Blender Foundations by Roland Hess

The Complete Guide to Blender Graphics by John Blain

I'm guess I'm asking which one of the above books would be the best to learn from or if there are better books out there. I hope this isn't too vague-I know I scream newbie-but I wanted to get a community opinion before I took the plunge.

Tehrasha

Postby Tehrasha » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:26 pm

Going strictly by the publication date, the 'Foundations' (2010) book might be too old for the current version of Blender. There have been a lot of changes to Blender in the last couple years.
Spacemice Wiki -- Input devices for a 3D world.
Spacemice / Blender Compatibility

stiv

Postby stiv » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:05 pm

One thing I found helpful for learning Blender was the Blender Basics Classroom Tutorial Book.

http://www.cdschools.org/Page/455

sochi

Postby sochi » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:00 am

Hi, OtakuFemme
My suggestion is to go with Roland Hess' book, but make sure you get the version for Blender 2.6. (Blender Foundations: The Essential Guide to Learning Blender 2.6)
Some of the images on Amazon don't match the listed item.

I bought the paper back, but then got the Kindle version for PC, so I could read it on a big screen, while working through the problems. That made a huge difference in my progress.

I spent a lot of time with tutorials before biting the bullet and buying the book, and with it, I finally started to make some progress. The beginning of the book is the most important part for me, where he focuses on training you to use the interface properly. The second part of the book has a lot of information on animation, which I may not use for a while, as i am chiefly interested in making sculpties and someday, mesh for Second Life. But I believe if you get through the whole book, you will have a solid understanding of the core features of Blender, and you will have developed habits that will make for a good workflow.

Otakufemme

Postby Otakufemme » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:07 pm

Thank you everyone! I'll check out the link stiv posted and take a really good look at the Hess book to make sure it will work out well for me. I'm still slightly concerned since it was published in 2010, but sochi posted a positive overview for the book so I'll check it out. :)

Return to “Documentation & Education”