Cycles in dual or quad SLI

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Cycles in dual or quad SLI

Postby Gcharb » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:29 pm

Hello everyone, first time post here!

I am looking to build a small GPU render farm for a commercial project I intend to do in Blender (normally Softimage user here)

Just had a first encounter with Blender about 2 weeks ago, and loving it!

I am wondering if Cycles GPU rendering can be use on dual, or even quad SLI configuration, like say quad Geforce GTX 690, even though Cycles only supports Cuda 2.1 I believe?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Postby troiano27 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:37 am

Came across thos and was wondering if you every found an answer for this? Looking to build a machine for Blender and some other programs and have been looking at the gtx 690 dual gpu card.

Did you go this route?

Postby rty » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:07 pm

Cuda, as OpenCL, it's a driver driven technology, Cuda it's just a framework used by Blender, as consequence Blender doesn't really care about your GPU/hardware setup simply because it only asks Cuda to do something and the implementation details about Cuda are known only to Nvidia.

By the way think twice about adopting Cuda for serious work, it's just a cheap technology without any sense; if it works for you, fine, but before doing something big and commercial educate yourself about Cuda, it also depends on what you have in mind .

Return to “Rendering”