Weight painting and Vertex groups

Animation tools, character animation, non linear animation

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

grandall

Weight painting and Vertex groups

Postby grandall » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:42 pm

I need to hide a vertex group to complete the weight painting for a bone. However I can't seem to find a way for the Hide function to work while in Weight Paint mode - version 2.6. Can anyone help please?

Many thanks, Graham

herby9ml

Postby herby9ml » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:49 am

Hey, not sure if you got your answer already. But i believe, if you switch back into edit mode, and Hide the vertices; when you switch back, they should be gone. That's normally how i work that out. Weight paint normally mimics whatever you had going on in Edit Mode.

Anyways, hope that helps.

CoDEmanX

Postby CoDEmanX » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:23 pm

you can do what herby suggested and use that together with Vertex/Face Selection Masking in Weight Paint mode
I'm sitting, waiting, wishing, building Blender in superstition...

grandall

Postby grandall » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:06 am

Thanks guys for the replies - been on holiday hence the delays. I have tried what you suggest but even though the vertex group is hidden in Edit mode, as soon as I switch to Weight Paint mode the vertices appear again. Is this a problem with version 2.6 ?

CoDEmanX

Postby CoDEmanX » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:09 pm

rather a missing feature i guess
I'm sitting, waiting, wishing, building Blender in superstition...

walldiv

Postby walldiv » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:21 am

grandall wrote:Thanks guys for the replies - been on holiday hence the delays. I have tried what you suggest but even though the vertex group is hidden in Edit mode, as soon as I switch to Weight Paint mode the vertices appear again. Is this a problem with version 2.6 ?

i had this same thing going on, but i was able to solve it with ALT+B selection to select only a certain part of my mesh . . . but this was like an armpit or a tight crevace where i needed to get into the very middle of the 2 joining parts. If you have something overlaying the top of something else, IE: a piece of cloth over a table, or shirt/skin then i believe you have no option here :(

IF THAT IS THE CASE THOUGH. . . i have solved this problem by simply using SNAP TO FACE on the top lying element, and making its vertices that would touch the underlying element snapped to the face of the underlying.

i hope that makes sense, i could draw it out or show you the specific project i had that i did that with, and it inherited all weight paints after doing so, i didnt have any more bleed throughs or nasty mesh problems thereafter!!!

AvenidaGez

Weiight Paint and Vertex groups

Postby AvenidaGez » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:59 am

I have posted a request
because, yes, we can use the restrict option, and great, we control what we paint is only in that vertex group, BUT, there is no option to update a Vertex Group, only Assign and Remove.
When you remove vertex there is no problem, but if you assign vertex then the weight paint is lost (reset to red), There is no way to update the vertex group, neither a way to copy/paste what you have already painted, so you assign new vertices to the group and can keep have you have already painted.
I think it woul be a good idea to have Update, Assign and Remove buttons
with update do not loose what you have already in weight paint.

Return to “Animation”