multiple parents

Animation tools, character animation, non linear animation

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Money_YaY!

Postby Money_YaY! » Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:15 pm

Zarf wrote:
Money_YaY! wrote:Ok Theeth. I hope that you see this. I have followed your instructions now for the simple constraints. Now what do I do? Can you supply some math that I can add to it to create the part that I have no clue of how to compute ?

I began work on a constraint like this today, mostly because I wanted to see how difficult writing a new constraint that actually does something usefull would be. I had to go through and figure out some extra stuff about the new UI that theeth's tutorial didn't cover since it was written pre-2.3. Regardless just to see if the idea worked I did a quick mock-up of the code in python and it works pretty well, and Iv'e almost completed the translation into blenders source (but not tonight, I'm tired :oops:

The Constraint is only 'one-way' right now but it would be interesting to make it two-way with some way to lock either object. That way a string of them could be formed that could lead to some interesting effects.

Should have this and another small goodie to show in next couple of days.

Cheers,
Zarf

YES! Sweet! Can not wait Zarf.... Have you played with the other programs that have this method and all sorts of others ? I am open to help if their is way that I can
^v^.

theeth

Postby theeth » Sun Dec 21, 2003 3:49 pm

Zarf wrote:The Constraint is only 'one-way' right now but it would be interesting to make it two-way with some way to lock either object. That way a string of them could be formed that could lead to some interesting effects.

Due to how the constraint refreshing system works, this won't be easy.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Zarf

Postby Zarf » Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:51 am

Money_YaY! wrote:
Zarf wrote:
Money_YaY! wrote:Ok Theeth. I hope that you see this. I have followed your instructions now for the simple constraints. Now what do I do? Can you supply some math that I can add to it to create the part that I have no clue of how to compute ?

I began work on a constraint like this today, mostly because I wanted to see how difficult writing a new constraint that actually does something usefull would be. I had to go through and figure out some extra stuff about the new UI that theeth's tutorial didn't cover since it was written pre-2.3. Regardless just to see if the idea worked I did a quick mock-up of the code in python and it works pretty well, and Iv'e almost completed the translation into blenders source (but not tonight, I'm tired :oops:

The Constraint is only 'one-way' right now but it would be interesting to make it two-way with some way to lock either object. That way a string of them could be formed that could lead to some interesting effects.

Should have this and another small goodie to show in next couple of days.

Cheers,
Zarf

YES! Sweet! Can not wait Zarf.... Have you played with the other programs that have this method and all sorts of others ? I am open to help if their is way that I can
^v^.

Perhaps there is some miscommunication on my part. Theeth mentioned the possiblity of a 'location limit' type of constraint, and that is what I have been working on. Whether or not this will help with your specific request for a way to do a full body IK setup is another matter entirely. This would require the constraint to be two way (which I think would have to be done in a very 'hackish' way) and honestly it would be a rather messy (in my opinion) way to approach the whole problem. I have been working on an algorithm for joint pinning/full body manipulation for the last few weeks that does rely on a constraint such as this as an element but it is only one small peice of the puzzle. I'm afraid from a user interface standpoint such a mode would be quite a headache to implement using the current armature system.

A motionbuilder type setup would be nice though.

Cheers,
Zarf

Money_YaY!

Postby Money_YaY! » Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:02 am

Well Zarf, Whatever you make will help. I can figure out some weird use to make it animate a rig in a neat way. Just make sure that you compleate it and don't just fall asleep at your comp. ^v^

Zarf

Postby Zarf » Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:47 pm

Money_YaY! wrote:Well Zarf, Whatever you make will help. I can figure out some weird use to make it animate a rig in a neat way. Just make sure that you compleate it and don't just fall asleep at your comp. ^v^

I'll ignore that last line :roll:
The constraint is now finished and working blender, despite a small bug with the saving/loading of it (which is actually kind of a big deal from user standpoint.) the other feature(s) I mentioned havnt been touched though and are kind of important but this should be interesting enough for the time being. I have to update my CVS checkout then submit a patch.

Cheers,
Zarf

Zarf

Postby Zarf » Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:53 pm

theeth wrote:
Zarf wrote:The Constraint is only 'one-way' right now but it would be interesting to make it two-way with some way to lock either object. That way a string of them could be formed that could lead to some interesting effects.

Due to how the constraint refreshing system works, this won't be easy.

Martin

I don't know much about that part of the code (yet). A two-way link constraint might be possible using some kind of kludge though. I'm not sure I like how constraint's are 'owned' by certain objects, I'm not sure if that makes sense in the long run and think this may lead to part of the problem. could be way off base though.

Cheers,
Zarf

Money_YaY!

Postby Money_YaY! » Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:27 pm

Zarf wrote:
Money_YaY! wrote:Well Zarf, Whatever you make will help. I can figure out some weird use to make it animate a rig in a neat way. Just make sure that you compleate it and don't just fall asleep at your comp. ^v^

I'll ignore that last line :roll:
The constraint is now finished and working blender, despite a small bug with the saving/loading of it (which is actually kind of a big deal from user standpoint.) the other feature(s) I mentioned havnt been touched though and are kind of important but this should be interesting enough for the time being. I have to update my CVS checkout then submit a patch.

Cheers,
Zarf

I meant no insult.

Anyway, I will do a test build as soon as you drop it into CVS, till then .
:o ^v^

theeth

Postby theeth » Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:49 pm

Zarf wrote:I don't know much about that part of the code (yet). A two-way link constraint might be possible using some kind of kludge though. I'm not sure I like how constraint's are 'owned' by certain objects, I'm not sure if that makes sense in the long run and think this may lead to part of the problem. could be way off base though.

Actually, I thought about it, and it could be done by making the constraint act both on the target and the owner in one pass.

Of course, this doesn't solve the refreshing mess, but it's a start.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.

- John Lennon

Return to “Animation”