Need help, /tmp\ folder. Blender eat my disk space!

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

nursalim

Need help, /tmp\ folder. Blender eat my disk space!

Postby nursalim » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:30 am

hello everyone :D

i am new to blender and i love it! i use blender 2.61 in windows. a fresh graduate student like me couldn't find any better 3D software than blender. thank you blender developer!

i have just tried rendering with blender today (its sweet, for real). i know that the default location for image rendering is /tmp\ folder. however, i couldn't find it anywhere. i have tried to unhidden folders and files, use advanced search in windows explorer, even using windows command prompt.

i know how to save the rendered image to my desired location, but the reaaaal problem is : i am playing with blender rendering all day long today (in default setting). i am unaware that it would take so much disk space.

i have around 6GB free disk space on my C: drive this morning, and tonight i only have 3GB free disk space on my C: :x

i didn't do anything except using the blender, i even disconnected from the internet.

is anyone out there having similar problem? i would really appreciate if anyone in this forum could help me solve my problem :)

regards,
ahmad nursalim | fresh blender user
director of batasfana

farbw3rk

Postby farbw3rk » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:10 pm

hi,

sry, i do not use win but you may get your answer here:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Render/Output

Jedijds

Postby Jedijds » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:09 pm

Haha, yeah if you’re no careful about where you save rendered projects they can quickly disappear and eat up disk space. I got a 16GB flash drive and I save all files that I test/play with on there, in less than a month I filled the whole drive, lol. I just formed the habit of not using default settings for renders and other output functions. I always create a folder and set the out put to it for any thing I do. For the missing files, I don’t know my computer decided to just write over them, sorry though.
۞◄█°‖‖‖‖‖█ʭʭ╬(░▒▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒)

stiv

Postby stiv » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:11 pm

I suspect your operating system is hiding the temp folder from you. IIRC, on windows it ends up as C:\temp or c:\tmp, depending.

Likely you are rendering large images/videos. At sizes 1920x1280, 4 bytes/pixel, you are dealing with nearly 8 Mb images. At 25 frames per second, you are sucking up disk at a gigabyte per minute.

nursalim

Postby nursalim » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:07 am

thank you everyone for answering my questions

@farbw3rk : i have checked the link, it is very useful. still, i haven't solved the problem though :(

@Jedijds : yeah, i am very very new to blender. will be careful next time. thanks for warning me

@stiv : so... that's why i easily lost 3GB. i suspected this too, but i didn't found anything in C:\temp folder. i have made it unhidden and search the files but there were nothing. C:\tmp doesn't exist anywhere.

i have tried to find similar threads in this forum but still i couldn't do anything about the loss.

more replies are welcome.
director of batasfana

farbw3rk

Postby farbw3rk » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:57 am

hi,

ok, if you do not find the location you could try to use a tool listing the used space per directory (treesize, which should be free, or something like that).

Return to “Rendering”