Quicktime movie of HD png frames rendered in 2.6.1 stutters

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Place Logo Here

Quicktime movie of HD png frames rendered in 2.6.1 stutters

Postby Place Logo Here » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:21 am

I have been using Blender for several years now ("tinkering" might be an apt description of my level of use), but this is my first forum post. So first let me say, "Howdy".

My traditional rendering workflow has been DV NTSC frames as uncompressed PNG files, which I then import as a sequence into Quicktime 7 (and then drop into Final Cut Pro).

I am currently working on a project which is the first time I have needed to export from Blender in HD. Curiously, exporting PNG frames as any of the HD resolutions results in a Quicktime file that "stutters" as if there are missing frames. I then tried changing the frame rate and compression levels to see if that was the problem, but no dice.

The only thing I found that would work was to render the frames as Targa files. I did a short animation and kept re-rendering to see if I could isolate the problem, and it appears to be PNG files at HD resolutions as rendered in 2.6.1

Wondered if anybody else has experienced the same problem and, if so, what you did about it. Also wondered if this might be a bug.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Tehrasha

Postby Tehrasha » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:40 am

That does sound rather odd, as Blender should render the same number of frames per second no mater what the format of the output file.

Have you manually looked at the frames (the PNG files) where the video stuttering occurs?
Spacemice Wiki -- Input devices for a 3D world.
Spacemice / Blender Compatibility

Place Logo Here

Postby Place Logo Here » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:47 am

[quote="Tehrasha"]That does sound rather odd, as Blender should render the same number of frames per second no mater what the format of the output file.

Have you manually looked at the frames (the PNG files) where the video stuttering occurs?[/quote]

Yep. Nothing appears odd (though it is difficult to tell when cycling through the frames at anything less than full speed).

I can't help but think Quicktime doesn't like something about these files, which is why I also tried rendering at a full 30 fps and 60 fps (thinking there might be a quirk with rendering at 29.97 fps). But then Quicktime is not balking at the DV NTSC PNG files or the HD Targas.

stiv

Postby stiv » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:19 am

NTSC interlaced video rendered with the fields in the wrong order?

Place Logo Here

Postby Place Logo Here » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:52 pm

[quote="stiv"]NTSC interlaced video rendered with the fields in the wrong order?[/quote]

Good point (and one I had not thought before), but I don't think the field ordering should change with the file type. I will need to test with manually flipping the order one way and the other to see what happens. And I am getting the same effect even when doing the render as progressive. The problem seems to be happening solely based on rendering as png at greater than SD screen dimensions and resolution.

Jedijds

Postby Jedijds » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:46 pm

Yes, I have the same problem but it occurs at any resolution higher than 30% of the render preset (1920 x 1080). I’m using blender 2.62 and I don’t think it is the computer because it does that the four other computers I have rendered on. I have even re-downloaded and installed blender all over again and it still does that. Any one have a fix?
۞◄█°‖‖‖‖‖█ʭʭ╬(░▒▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒)

Return to “Rendering”