[Bug?] New Blender file opens my old file

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

BestFriend

[Bug?] New Blender file opens my old file

Postby BestFriend » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:54 am

Hi, I don't know where to place this. But after just a week's break from blendering, I opened blender through the start menu and my old file was preloaded. I then click "new" from the file menu, and the objects from my last blend was still there. After which I preceded to delete all objects and press "new" again - with the results of all the objects from my previous work loading.

It's very weird for me, since I remember that, when I click new it should just show the grid with a box in the middle. Did this change?

BestFriend

Re: [Bug?] New Blender file opens my old file

Postby BestFriend » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:58 am

BestFriend wrote:Hi, I don't know where to place this. But after just a week's break from blendering, I opened blender through the start menu and my old file was preloaded. I then click "new" from the file menu, and the objects from my last blend was still there. After which I preceded to delete all objects and press "new" again - with the results of all the objects from my previous work loading.

It's very weird for me, since I remember that, when I click new it should just show the grid with a box in the middle. Did this change?

Hmmm it seems that when I hit 'ctrl+N' it says "Reload start-up file?" Is there a way to return to the previous default 'new' file?

paulo_gomes

Postby paulo_gomes » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:29 am

go to file menu and choose load factory settings.

you must have press ctrl+u when you have your scene open, that save user settings, making them the default for when you open blender.

jhyslop

Postby jhyslop » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:13 am

paulo_gomes wrote:go to file menu and choose load factory settings.

you must have press ctrl+u when you have your scene open, that save user settings, making them the default for when you open blender.

Is there any other way to reset just the default object? I have changed a lot of my settings, and don't want to have to re-apply all my customized settings if I don't have to.

Tehrasha

Postby Tehrasha » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:58 am

Chances are, some time iwhile you were building your project, you added or activated an addon or custom keymap and selected 'Save as Default', which then saved whatever you were currently working on as the default starting position.

To Fix.

Start blender.
Delete all of the objects/materials/textures that you are presented with.
Position your camera in a neutral position (if applicable).
File > Save user Preferences
Quit blender.

Blender should now open with your -new- empty layout, but keep all of the custom window positions and key mappings that you have made.
Spacemice Wiki -- Input devices for a 3D world.
Spacemice / Blender Compatibility

Return to “Interface & Tools”