Anybody familiar with importing pro/engineer models?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

blenderdavid

Anybody familiar with importing pro/engineer models?

Postby blenderdavid » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:31 pm

I'm hoping to find an expert here who can help me with the following:

I create my models in pro/engineer and use blender/yafaray to render them. Unfortunately, I didn't find a really good way to import the pro/e-models into blender, they always get messed up.
This is my typical workflow: I export from pro/e in the .obj format, import them into blender. They look very unsmooth then (see pic 1):
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg32/sca ... es=landing
When I use "set smooth" I get rid of all those edges, but now the model has errors, especially in rounded or very detailed parts (see red circles in pic 2 - hope you can see what i mean):
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg26/sca ... es=landing

Only way to get acceptable results i found is to export the .obj with a very fine mesh (1 million + faces), but then the files get much too big to work with them properly.

If anybody has a workflow or a solution on how to avoid these errors in the meshes and get nice and smooth models from pro/e I'd be really happy to hear about it :wink:

ddeo

Re: Anybody familiar with importing pro/engineer models?

Postby ddeo » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:42 pm

blenderdavid wrote:I'm hoping to find an expert here who can help me with the following:

I create my models in pro/engineer and use blender/yafaray to render them. Unfortunately, I didn't find a really good way to import the pro/e-models into blender, they always get messed up.
This is my typical workflow: I export from pro/e in the .obj format, import them into blender. They look very unsmooth then (see pic 1):
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg32/sca ... es=landing
When I use "set smooth" I get rid of all those edges, but now the model has errors, especially in rounded or very detailed parts (see red circles in pic 2 - hope you can see what i mean):
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg26/sca ... es=landing

Only way to get acceptable results i found is to export the .obj with a very fine mesh (1 million + faces), but then the files get much too big to work with them properly.

If anybody has a workflow or a solution on how to avoid these errors in the meshes and get nice and smooth models from pro/e I'd be really happy to hear about it :wink:

It's similar problem to my, except I'm loosing smooth groups after exporting model from 3dsmax, your model is flat instead of smooth. Select your model, press ctrl+f and choose "shade smooth", after that rework smooth groups by selecting each part you want to be smooth in edit mode and by pressing "y" on keyboard blender will cut your model. Another way is to select edge where there supposed to be unsoomth edge and after pressing "ctrl + e" choose "mark sharp". After marking all sharps make sure your model is "shade smooth" and add modifier to it called "edge split". Uncheck "edge angle", make sure that only "sharp edges" is selected. Also from your screenshots i see youre using older version of blender, I don't know if everything I mention is in blender 2.4x, since im using blender from 2.5. Cheers, hope it helps!

blenderdavid

Postby blenderdavid » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:50 pm

ddeo wrote:It's similar problem to my, except I'm loosing smooth groups after exporting model from 3dsmax, your model is flat instead of smooth. Select your model, press ctrl+f and choose "shade smooth", after that rework smooth groups by selecting each part you want to be smooth in edit mode and by pressing "y" on keyboard blender will cut your model. Another way is to select edge where there supposed to be unsoomth edge and after pressing "ctrl + e" choose "mark sharp". After marking all sharps make sure your model is "shade smooth" and add modifier to it called "edge split". Uncheck "edge angle", make sure that only "sharp edges" is selected. Also from your screenshots i see youre using older version of blender, I don't know if everything I mention is in blender 2.4x, since im using blender from 2.5. Cheers, hope it helps!

Thanks for your reply! I tried that, but it takes a looot of time to select all edges that are supposed to remain sharp - or is there any way to do this very quick/easy? Otherwise that's too much work for a detailed model :(

ddeo

Postby ddeo » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:57 pm

blenderdavid wrote:
ddeo wrote:It's similar problem to my, except I'm loosing smooth groups after exporting model from 3dsmax, your model is flat instead of smooth. Select your model, press ctrl+f and choose "shade smooth", after that rework smooth groups by selecting each part you want to be smooth in edit mode and by pressing "y" on keyboard blender will cut your model. Another way is to select edge where there supposed to be unsoomth edge and after pressing "ctrl + e" choose "mark sharp". After marking all sharps make sure your model is "shade smooth" and add modifier to it called "edge split". Uncheck "edge angle", make sure that only "sharp edges" is selected. Also from your screenshots i see youre using older version of blender, I don't know if everything I mention is in blender 2.4x, since im using blender from 2.5. Cheers, hope it helps!

Thanks for your reply! I tried that, but it takes a looot of time to select all edges that are supposed to remain sharp - or is there any way to do this very quick/easy? Otherwise that's too much work for a detailed model :(

I know, I have this problem too, that's why I've created similar thread about importing obj into blender from 3dsmax. I'm loosing smooth groups and I had to spend last time whole day making new smooth groups for my model. Althought I was doing it before by cutting model, I think now that marking sharps may be better. Still, you could try newer version of blender, 2.5x, there is option to import smooth groups from obj file, it doesn't work for 3dsmax for me (or I'm doing something wrong).

blenderdavid

Postby blenderdavid » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:00 pm

ddeo wrote:I know, I have this problem too, that's why I've created similar thread about importing obj into blender from 3dsmax. I'm loosing smooth groups and I had to spend last time whole day making new smooth groups for my model. Althought I was doing it before by cutting model, I think now that marking sharps may be better. Still, you could try newer version of blender, 2.5x, there is option to import smooth groups from obj file, it doesn't work for 3dsmax for me (or I'm doing something wrong).

This option (smooth groups) is available in 2.49, too. But same here - I don't see any difference when checking this option...

Return to “Interface & Tools”