Cycles Textures - Light Power

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

ZackatSumoFilms

Cycles Textures - Light Power

Postby ZackatSumoFilms » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:45 pm

I was wondering if there's a relation between the Emission Value and Lumens or watts/meter? In trying to recreate scenes or create recreations of shots in 3D it would be nice to be able to recreate a real world light source, such as a Kino Flo or mini-mole. I can adjust the RGB values to color temperature (http://www.vendian.org/mncharity/dir3/blackbody/UnstableURLs/bbr_color.html), but the amount of light emitted would be nice to have a similar conversion to be able to truly have a pretty accurate simulation.
Zack Miller
www.sumofilms.com

ZackatSumoFilms

Going back into the Manual and reading about Emissions

Postby ZackatSumoFilms » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:55 pm

So, I found this, but it really doesn't help with materials used as lights.

Emission:
Strength input
Strength of the emitted light. For point and area lamps the unit is Watts. For materials a value of 1.0 will ensure the object in the image will have the exact same color as the Color input, i.e. make it 'shadeless'.

Does it mean the Materials should only output 1 Watt of light? Also, is that Watts total? Watts/Unit?
If it is only 1 Watt total if an area lamp is used then if I change the size of the lamp it should have the same light power total, just spread out over the bigger area correct? In effect making a very diffuse light source that is really weak. But, I've found that's not what seems to happen. It tends to get brighter as if it is set up using a Watts/Unit algorithm.
What I am trying to figure out is this. If I model a lamp after a real world light, such as a KINO Flo, which comes with awesome documentation, can it be done?
It would be nice to model a soundstage and append virtual lights that match what was used to ease the logistics and workflows instead of guessing in post and saying, "eh, close enough".
http://www.kinoflo.com/Kino%20Flo%20lamps/True%20Match/True%20Match.htm
It would be nice to found an answer to this question. I google this regularly to see if anyone else is asking this question and apparently no one else cares if their scene is accurately lighted.[/url]

Return to “Rendering”