There should be a CNTL-Y restore function

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

There should be a CNTL-Y restore function

Postby » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:04 pm

There should be a cntl-y restore function to complement cntl-z. And why in the world does Blender 2.63 erase previous work not associated with the object being removed with cntl-z? I've been trying to create an aluminum extrusion profile by extruding cube faces. Then I wanted to take a notch out of one of those corners with a separate cube and a Boolean modifier. In the first place, Blender can't tell the difference between the added cube and the extruded profile. It seems to think that it is all one object. Then when I used cntl-z to erase the cube (I don't dare use delete in this instance), when Blender finally erases the added cube, it also clears out work done prior to the adding of the cube. Wonderful - a package I have to fight with even to get simple work done. Always appreciated.

Postby stiv » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:34 pm

If you do not like the keymap, change it.

Postby bill2reg » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:02 pm

Cntl-Z is 'undo' so why wouldn't you expect it to undo what you've done? Why can't you apply the Boolean modifier and then delete the second cube?

Postby Tehrasha » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:34 pm

I think he wants an undo for the undo.
So if you ctrl-z too many steps back you can restore what was undone.
Spacemice Wiki -- Input devices for a 3D world.
Spacemice / Blender Compatibility

Postby » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:54 pm

stiv wrote:If you do not like the keymap, change it.

Unfortunately, I don't yet know what a keymap is and what relevance it has in this.

Postby » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:37 am

Tehrasha wrote:I think he wants an undo for the undo.
So if you ctrl-z too many steps back you can restore what was undone.

Thank you - got it in one. I did eventually find the answer to that, in the Blender 2.5 Keyboard Shortcuts list; Ctrl-Shift-Z is the redo command. like Ctrl-Y is many other places. Unlike the 2.36 shortcuts, which list the shortcuts by keystroke, the 2.5 list orders them by function, which is much easier to use.

I did not check to see if redo would recover the missing work that undo over-undid. Extreme annoyance pushed me to find a work-around using another CAD package, my old copy of TurboCAD-3D V7. It comes with a set of tutorials for basic functions, and I found a workflow that may do. I can save a model generated in TC7 on my Win7 dual-core machine in *.3ds format, import it into HiJaak Pro v4 on my Win2000 P4 computer, save it as *.DXF or *.WRL there, and re-import it back into Blender on either machine to put the parts together and render them. Or I can assemble and render the parts in TC7. and use Blender as an independent file checker, as I have with FreeCAD.

If that sounds cumbersome, it comes from not having easy access to an organized set of tutorials right in the Blender package, which would explain how to do basic functions without little gotchas popping up all the time. Instead, Blender has an entire cloud of tutorials, not all of which are useful, requiring one to wade through a lot of chaff to get to the wheat.

Besides that, I notice from one Blender to tutorial that just putting a round hole in something seems to require a large number of operations to manipulate triangles, and still isn't very precise. It seems that Blender does not allow one to easily specify a circle with a precise diameter and cut a hole with it. In fact, I don't see where it measures diameter at all. -One of the most basic things in geometry. Perhaps animators don't need it.

Anyway, if your time is getting short, you pick the package with the most effective learning curve that gets the job done. I may need organic curves for esthetic design, but I'm not doing animation. I wish I could use Blender easily and effectively; wonderful things can be done with it. But for now, I don't think it's my best choice.

Return to “Interface & Tools”