Previous Thread  Next Thread

chat icon Can blender do the same things as adobe after effects?

Scripting_pro

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:53 pm
I'm just wondering if blender can do the same things as adobe after effects.
Just because I'm too cheap to buy after effects.

CoDEmanX

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:09 pm
No software can do the exact same things another software can.

And you can't even compare Blender and After Effects. AE is a 2.5D tool, while blender is mainly 3d. Blender has more with Autodesk Maya, 3ds max and Cinema 4D in common.

AfterEffects is great for compositing and effects, but they are rather 2d based. You can't create complex 3d content with it, for that, you can use Blender.

Latest Blender, 2.64, has many features like AE, e.g. Masking with adjustable feather for video clips, 3d tracking and so on. However, workflow, performance and quality differ a lot. If you can't afford AE, go try out Blender, but if you wanna do compositing, video cutting etc., i would recommend AE as it's the easier-to-learn software imo.

Scripting_pro

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:16 pm
CoDEmanX wrote:
No software can do the exact same things another software can.

And you can't even compare Blender and After Effects. AE is a 2.5D tool, while blender is mainly 3d. Blender has more with Autodesk Maya, 3ds max and Cinema 4D in common.

AfterEffects is great for compositing and effects, but they are rather 2d based. You can't create complex 3d content with it, for that, you can use Blender.

Latest Blender, 2.64, has many features like AE, e.g. Masking with adjustable feather for video clips, 3d tracking and so on. However, workflow, performance and quality differ a lot. If you can't afford AE, go try out Blender, but if you wanna do compositing, video cutting etc., i would recommend AE as it's the easier-to-learn software imo.

Thank you.
I have been using blender for a while now and was wondering how much more I could do.
After all there are some cool after effects on youtube.

Jump to: