Weird behavior in linked mesh w/Armature

Animation tools, character animation, non linear animation

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Cygon

Weird behavior in linked mesh w/Armature

Postby Cygon » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:16 pm

I'm working on a game with several characters. Up until now, I've kept each model in its own .blend file with its own actions (animations).

Now I want to create some animations that involve interaction between multiple characters. For example, a sword fight between the hero and the evil lord or a crazed wolf attacking a villager girl.

I think my best bet is to use Blender's "link" feature to create synchronized animations. I intended to use it like this:

NpcVillagerGirl.blend <----,
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . }---- WolfAttackingGirl.blend
EnemyWolf.blend <-------´

When I linked the meshes, the Armatures got imported, too, but I'm only able to pose one of the Armatures and not the other. This seems to be an area with little documentation, so can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong or point me to some tutorial/piece of documentation?

I've created a sample .blend file that demonstrates my problem here:
http://www.nuclex.org/temporary/Blender ... racters.7z

Cygon

Postby Cygon » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:20 pm

The most detailed information I could find so far is here:

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2 ... _Libraries

But it states that Armature linking is "work in progress" as of Blender 2.43 - not exactly helpful. Still, I've got the feeling that my setup should work.

The only workaround I could imagine would be to /Append/ the other character, animate the current one against the appended one, then delete the appended one again before saving. And then vice versa, each time I want to tweak the other Armature. But that would not be the most convenient way to work...

Return to “Animation”