I love blender but i find that all Blender users are always facing the same problem : rendering power.
Shouldn't blender consider this problem to increase it's usage ?
Let me explain myself.
Like lot of blender user we rapidly face a problem : rendering power. After lot of searches and trials i've came to think there is no good solution for the moment and that's a problem Blender should take care of :
- High end computers : expensive plus it seems that even if GPU power is the future, some users still think CPU is more efficient.
- GPU solution (one or more Cuda Graphic cards) : same problem : expensive.
- renderfarm.fi ? cool but i'm not sure you can use this solution in a professional workflow when you don't know WHEN you'll get your work done and that it will be public !
- Have your own render farm ? That's an awesome feature of blender 2.6x. But converting old PCs to have rendering power is a bit frustrating : you don't get as much power as you'd like (i know we always want more !) and energy consumption is a part of the equation. And if you build a render farm with recent PCs, it costs a lot again.
Considering all that, i've seen some posts of people trying to use blender on PS3. I'm not sure i've understood everything but it came out that it's not a good solution as blender is not coded to use the PS3 cell power. And i think that's really too bad.
I've seen several university using 2 to x PS3 to build small cheap supercomputers. How can you beat a 200$ computer like a PS3 when a good graphic card is 300 to 500$ and can only have 4 max of them in 1 computer?
I suppose building a blender version that could work and use the power of a PS3 is a lot of work, but i think this could be a real deal :
- Open movies could use their own cheap render farm.
- Blender would be even more interesting for lot of companies as it could bring excellent results for reasonably good price.
- Blender notoriety would increase.
In any case, shouldn't blender think of that problem as part of the equation in order to expand itself ?
I know it's another business but honestly if Blender had a cheap powerful scalable solution to offer wouldn't you buy it?
I know i do !
Is this a so crazy idea ?