Interpolation?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Datawraith

Interpolation?

Postby Datawraith » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:31 am

Is there a way to change the interpolation being used on one object? I mean switching back and forth between interpolation types in the same file.

Also can someone give me a break down of the difference between the interpolation types?

DonLuccar

Re: Interpolation?

Postby DonLuccar » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:28 pm

Datawraith wrote:Is there a way to change the interpolation being used on one object? I mean switching back and forth between interpolation types in the same file.

Also can someone give me a break down of the difference between the interpolation types?

I am quite new to blender and I just learned about this interpolation stuff yesterday =^ω^=

You can only change the interpolation mode for the keyframe that you have selected in the F-Curve. Notice that you automatically change all keyframes if all are selected!

There are basically three different types of interpolation modes:

1) Constant
The animation changes very abrupt from keyframe to keyframe. In the frames inbetween there is no interpolation and thus the animtion is rough.

2) Linear
The animation changes evenly over time. This means that the change is the same in all frames between two keyframes.
You can calculate the attribute at a keyframe by the formula:

a (t) = (a1-a0) / (t1-to) * ( t0 - t)
where a is the value of an attribute at a certain time t,
a0 is the value of the attribute in the keyframe at t0
and a1 is the value of the attribute in the keyframe at t1

3) Bezier
Mr. Bézier was a engineer who invented good looking and easy calculatable curves. If you give some points as parameters you can easily get a nice curve. Blender uses these to smooth out the values in between two keyframes.

The formula is quite long and I am really not in the mood for writing it down.. ^^" I apoligize for that, but if you really really want I can explain it to you if you pm me

Return to “Interface & Tools”