I need help

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

rdgracer71

I need help

Postby rdgracer71 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:31 am

I downloaded blender 2.66 (64 bit) to my computer last night. I went to blender.org to do the download. my computer is a laptop and runs windows 7 and is a 64 bit pc. I3. I found a tut on youtube and was following the tut. during the process of making the object in the tut, blender just shut down. i closed out my windows i had open up and reopen blender and loaded the work i was working on and tried to do the same step again. once again blender just shuts down. not sure what is going on. please i need some help with this. is this a bug with blender? does this happen often? I am very new to blender and wanted to really learn it, but now i am re thinking that.

Tehrasha

Postby Tehrasha » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:15 am

Might help if you said what the step was that was causing the crash.

You could also open a command line, and launch Blender from that, then it might spit out some extra information about the crash.

rdgracer71

Postby rdgracer71 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:25 am

well i was making a alarm clock. i had built the body of the clock and made the face of the clock, built the hands for the clock. i had already choose what colors to make each part and was about to make another part of the clock. i went to where you pick wireframe and clicked on material to see what the clock would look like and then blender shuts down. if i click on texture to bring up the bit map image i used for the clock face it does not shut down. but only if i click on material then it shuts down. i am new to this so am not real sure what to do.

rdgracer71

Postby rdgracer71 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:30 am

how do i open a command line like you are saying?

Tehrasha

Postby Tehrasha » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:55 am

rdgracer71 wrote:how do i open a command line like you are saying?

Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Comand Prompt (cmd.exe)

From there, change to the directory that Blender is installed in, and launch it from there.

Code: Select all

C:\> cd c:\{insert location of blender here}\
C:\{blender location}\> blender.exe

and see if it throws any errors there when it crashes again.

rdgracer71

Postby rdgracer71 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:09 am

Tehrasha wrote:
rdgracer71 wrote:how do i open a command line like you are saying?

Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Comand Prompt (cmd.exe)

From there, change to the directory that Blender is installed in, and launch it from there.

Code: Select all

C:\> cd c:\{insert location of blender here}\
C:\{blender location}\> blender.exe

and see if it throws any errors there when it crashes again.

I thank you for trying to help me. but i am not really sure what you are talking about with the above instructions. is there anyway you can explain this to me in a little bit more detail. i can get to the command prompt and a little window comes up with a black background. Am i suppose to copy and paste the code you have there into that window that comes up, I am really confused. :(

rdgracer71

Postby rdgracer71 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:16 am

blender stinks i am done with it :lol:

Tehrasha

Postby Tehrasha » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:55 am

rdgracer71 wrote:I thank you for trying to help me. but i am not really sure what you are talking about with the above instructions. is there anyway you can explain this to me in a little bit more detail. i can get to the command prompt and a little window comes up with a black background. Am i suppose to copy and paste the code you have there into that window that comes up, I am really confused. :(

You will need to use the 'cd' command to change directories, to the one that Blender is installed in. That could potentially be anywhere on your computer, so I cannot give you the exact line to type. You can find the location by right-clicking a shortcut to blender and looking at the 'Target'

Blender is a complex program, with a steep learning curve.
Navigating directories from a command is incredibly simple by comparison.

Return to “News & Chat”