Previous Thread  Next Thread

chat icon I need help

rdgracer71

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:31 am
I downloaded blender 2.66 (64 bit) to my computer last night. I went to blender.org to do the download. my computer is a laptop and runs windows 7 and is a 64 bit pc. I3. I found a tut on youtube and was following the tut. during the process of making the object in the tut, blender just shut down. i closed out my windows i had open up and reopen blender and loaded the work i was working on and tried to do the same step again. once again blender just shuts down. not sure what is going on. please i need some help with this. is this a bug with blender? does this happen often? I am very new to blender and wanted to really learn it, but now i am re thinking that.

Tehrasha

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:15 am
Might help if you said what the step was that was causing the crash.

You could also open a command line, and launch Blender from that, then it might spit out some extra information about the crash.

rdgracer71

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:25 am
well i was making a alarm clock. i had built the body of the clock and made the face of the clock, built the hands for the clock. i had already choose what colors to make each part and was about to make another part of the clock. i went to where you pick wireframe and clicked on material to see what the clock would look like and then blender shuts down. if i click on texture to bring up the bit map image i used for the clock face it does not shut down. but only if i click on material then it shuts down. i am new to this so am not real sure what to do.

rdgracer71

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:30 am
how do i open a command line like you are saying?

Tehrasha

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:55 am
rdgracer71 wrote:

Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Comand Prompt (cmd.exe)

From there, change to the directory that Blender is installed in, and launch it from there.

Code:

C:\> cd c:\{insert location of blender here}\
C:\{blender location}\> blender.exe

and see if it throws any errors there when it crashes again.

rdgracer71

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:09 am
Tehrasha wrote:
rdgracer71 wrote:

Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Comand Prompt (cmd.exe)

From there, change to the directory that Blender is installed in, and launch it from there.

Code:

C:\> cd c:\{insert location of blender here}\
C:\{blender location}\> blender.exe

and see if it throws any errors there when it crashes again.

I thank you for trying to help me. but i am not really sure what you are talking about with the above instructions. is there anyway you can explain this to me in a little bit more detail. i can get to the command prompt and a little window comes up with a black background. Am i suppose to copy and paste the code you have there into that window that comes up, I am really confused. Sad

rdgracer71

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:16 am
blender stinks i am done with it Laughing

Tehrasha

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:55 am
rdgracer71 wrote:

I thank you for trying to help me. but i am not really sure what you are talking about with the above instructions. is there anyway you can explain this to me in a little bit more detail. i can get to the command prompt and a little window comes up with a black background. Am i suppose to copy and paste the code you have there into that window that comes up, I am really confused. Sad

You will need to use the 'cd' command to change directories, to the one that Blender is installed in. That could potentially be anywhere on your computer, so I cannot give you the exact line to type. You can find the location by right-clicking a shortcut to blender and looking at the 'Target'

Blender is a complex program, with a steep learning curve.
Navigating directories from a command is incredibly simple by comparison.

Jump to: