UV Texture assignment (possibly FBX export issues)?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

UV Texture assignment (possibly FBX export issues)?

Postby puargs » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:07 pm

I am having trouble with UV textures and exporting to FBX.

I have two models, Cube01 and Bar01. They were created, as far as I can tell, in the same way. Cube01 exports to FBX perfectly, and contains all the texture information I need (it points to cube01.png which I can change independently to alter the texture as needed). When I import Cube01 into my XNA project, it only shows the model where the texture is present, which is exactly what I want it to do.

Bar01 doesn't seem to export with any texture options. For some reason it always has this matte white texture. I have looked in the Bar01.fbx file and it doesn't even contain any references at all to Bar01.png. When I import Bar01 into my XNA project, it ignores the PNG entirely as if it weren't attached to the project.

I have tried removing and re-adding my material, removing and re-adding my texture, reassigning my texture in Bar01, everything. It doesn't seem to take.

I have the files uploaded to http://www.puargs.net/models.zip . Anyone know what I am doing wrong?? Thanks!! :)

Postby suikki » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:42 pm

This is probably way too late for you but might help some other poor googler.

I had exactly the same problem until I realized that the textures exported to FBX are not coming from materials at all, but from the UV-view. You have to assign the png from there.

Kinda stupid. Would be nice to have an export option for that at least.

Dan MN

Postby Dan MN » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:19 am

I'm that poor googler and it did help me! Many thanks :)

I come from Maya and in general I find Blender pretty intuitive, but this one got me scratching my head for a while. I still don't understand why the UV window should be different from the actual material, but anyway. Assigning the textures in the UV window does export FBX files with materials.

Postby houghtob123 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:43 am

So exactly how would someone add the textures to a uv this way?

Return to “Interface & Tools”