Previous Thread  Next Thread

chat icon Blender Render Farm Hardware

DCCJr

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:42 pm
I am just starting in 3D Animation as a hobby (for now). I would like to build a small render farm so that I can continue working (learning) while rendering a project. I am trying to be very budget minded at this time. I an considering buy several used servers to use as nodes in the farm. I would like any feedback any of you would care to give. These are the servers that i am considering. I am thinking of starting with 4 of them.

Super Micro SuperChassis 512F-280B Dual Xeon Quad-Core L5320 1.86GHz 4GB 160GB 1U Mini Server w/Video

I plan to run Linux as the OS.

Since I am just starting, I don't think I'll need a "super farm".

I look forward to your input. Thanks for you help.

stiv

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:24 pm
Unless you are determined to stick with simple scenes and small frames, I would go with 64 bit nodes - even if it means fewer of them. Running out of memory can be an annoying problem.

DCCJr

Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:22 am
Zeons are 64 bit procs? No? I would upgrade to 8 or 16 gb of memory in each. Itaniums seem a little overkill for my purpose ( and more expensive). Any other concerns?

DCCJr

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:15 pm
My next question is whether all of the processors need to be the same model? For example, would I be OK if they were all Xeons or are different clock speeds going to effect me negatively?

maclaud

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:48 am
i'm also researching and touring the net in a setup for a small personal render farm for blender and i wonder if have you reach your goal?
ty in advance maclaud

Jump to: