Rotating animation glitch?

Animation tools, character animation, non linear animation

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

VaconCamp

Rotating animation glitch?

Postby VaconCamp » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:20 pm

So I'm modeling a road bike (only have one wheel done) and decided to try to make an animation for the wheel. I wanted to make it rotate several times to simulate what it would look like if someone was riding it. The problem is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqSrd6es ... e=youtu.be (sorry for the laggy video). I have no idea what I did wrong but I think it has something to do with the objects not having the same parent. (if I join them, the materials and textures change to the same as the selected parent). The only modifier I have is the subdivision modifier which I don't think is what is causing this problem. I am clueless to what the problem is, anyone have any idea?

Thanks in advance :)

norvman

Re: Rotating animation glitch?

Postby norvman » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:02 pm

[quote=] I think it has something to do with the objects not having the same parent. [/quote]

If your wheel is built from many separate objects... then yes you should parent them all to one object (preferably an 'Empty' object) and then animate the rotation of that Object...
also... Blender as well as many other 3D software have problems with Rotations that swing past the 360 point. I good strategy to prevent this is the key the Rotation every 90degrees of turn...

Also the objects you have constructed need to have their axis aligned with their parent...

That is if the Parent Object (which we discussed above) has it's 'Up' axis along the positive 'Z' axis then so should all the children if you want them to behave during rotations...

Aligning these axises is not difficult to do...
especially in your instance with a wheel...

Hit shift-S and set cursor to center....> Add an Empty Object...> Rename it something like "wheel Parent"...> Now select one of the parts of your wheel...> hit Shift-S... selection to Cursor...> then hit goto your bottom tool bar > Object > Apply > Rotation and Scale > then on the same tool bar goto > Object > Transform > Origin to 3D cursor....
That should set all your objects Axis in line with the Parent empty object...
Now just do the same with the rest of the wheel objects...

hope that helps...

Return to “Animation”