NB topic: keeping blender up to date in Ubuntu

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

NB topic: keeping blender up to date in Ubuntu

Postby FabioFrosaa » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:08 pm

Hello, everyone

I'm trying to open source my life. So now I installed ubuntu and will try to change all the programs I use to open source. Blender is already a long time friend.

So ubuntu downloaded blender 2.58 and I want blender 2.62. What to do? I downloaded the Linux version in blender's website but I dont know how to replace the old one with this one. And when I try to use the terminal and get the update it says I already have the latest version.

please be patient with a newbie!

Postby FabioFrosaa » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:58 pm

Found a way! :D

Posting for anyone that finds the same problem:

At Ubuntu software center you can find "Synaptic package manager"
there I searched for blender and it showed me that the two versions were avaliable, 2.58 and 2.62, and it explaneid that I could "force" another version. So I did and it worked.

Althout I still want to know how I would reach this other version from the terminal... just to understand ubuntu a bit more.

Postby stiv » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:54 am

No idea what ubuntu is using for a package manager, but for any platform, you can download the archive version of blender from www.blender.org and simply unpack it into a folder and run it from there.

Postby ldo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:05 am

Or build it for yourself. Instructions are here: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.5/Doc/Building_Blender/Linux.

As for installing the necessary dependencies, try this shortcut first:

Code: Select all

apt-get build-dep blender

Since that installs the necessary dependencies for rebuilding the distro package, it should also work for building source from SVN.

Postby FabioFrosaa » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:26 pm

Nice, Ido

Cracked it!

Postby R_McGill_1988 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:25 pm

I've been looking all over the Internet to find a way of having a consistently up to date version of blender. This method I found installs it properly on Ubuntu and creates the correct repository which should mean it just updates itself from now on (Can't be sure of that though as no knew releases of blender have been released since I did it.

In the terminal

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:irie/blender
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install blender

got this from
http://www.noobslab.com/2012/12/install ... buntu.html

if you want to look at that :D

Also, since I did this the renderer seems much faster than before

Return to “News & Chat”