Previous Thread  Next Thread

chat icon If I donate will I be funding animated movies?

Astralogic

Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:44 pm
A short simple question: If I donate to Blender will I be funding animated movies?

Thanks
Astralogic

stiv

Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:19 pm
Donations are used to fund Blender development. The Blender movie projects are, in a sense, a side effect. They take new features for a test drive, to check what works and what does not. They also demonstrate what Blender can do. Each movie project has a theme or area of focus - for example, in Big Buck Bunny it was fur, for the latest, Tears of Steel, it was visual effects.

If you are interested in contributing to movie projects, you can probably find a few at BlenderNation.

Astralogic

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:05 pm
stiv wrote:
Donations are used to fund Blender development. The Blender movie projects are, in a sense, a side effect. They take new features for a test drive, to check what works and what does not. They also demonstrate what Blender can do. Each movie project has a theme or area of focus - for example, in Big Buck Bunny it was fur, for the latest, Tears of Steel, it was visual effects.

If you are interested in contributing to movie projects, you can probably find a few at BlenderNation.

It's the opposite actually, I want to help with Blenders development but was worried my money would be spent on an animation instead.

stiv

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:38 pm
The Blender movie projects are funded separately via dvd pre-sales (get your name in the credits!) and grants.

Donations and eShop sales go to development.

Jump to: