Macbook trackpad and "scroll" to expand sphere of

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

RobNik

Macbook trackpad and "scroll" to expand sphere of

Postby RobNik » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:19 am

Hello,

I'm a Blender beginner, and I'm using my Macbook (OS X 10.7) with the built-in trackpad. I've got emulate numpad and emulate 3 button mouse enabled in the preferences, and I've been able to orbit, pan, zoom, move, etc., as desired, so far. I notice that many of the Mac gestures are working (for example, pinch to zoom). But there is one situation that I can't get to work. If I enable proportional editing, select part of the mesh, and start to move it, Blender displays a while circular outline of the "sphere of influence". Apparently, you should be able to use a scroll wheel to resize this sphere, during the edit. But the 2 finger "scroll" on the trackpad is not doing it. Strangely, it almost works -- if I "fling" or "throw" the 2 finger gesture, it will resize the sphere of influence, but it resizes it by a large amount, so it is not useful. Simple 2 finger dragging, which is the usual scroll gesture in the rest of OS X, does nothing during the proportional edit.

So I'm looking for either:

1. A way to get a scroll gesture working in this proportional edit mode (and others like it.)
2. A way to key in the numeric size of the sphere of influence. It wouldn't be as convenient, but at least I could control it.

I'd really like to avoid having to carry around extra hardware like a bluetooth mouse, just for this one gesture.

thanks,
Rob

n_powell

one noob to another

Postby n_powell » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:05 am

"Noob Note: To change the radius on a Macbook press "fn"+ up/down. OSX uses function + arrow keys as replacements for "home", "end", "page up" and "page down" keys."

found this info here:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D ... _Molehills

enjoy

RobNik

Postby RobNik » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:07 pm

That worked, thanks! Ideally there would be a finer adjustment too, but this is good.

Return to “Interface & Tools”