New extrusion feature/tool

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Technolithic

New extrusion feature/tool

Postby Technolithic » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:40 pm

This video illustrates what I'd like to implement with this extrusion feature:
http://vimeo.com/5889630

I'm sufficiently motivated to add this feature if nobody else is already working on such a thing. I've searched for other ways to accomplish what I aim to do but have not found a way.

I believe it would be intuitive to add this feature to the Alt-E extrusion menu and have the origin of extrusion located at the object origin or the cursor.

Feel free to discuss your knowledge and ideas about this.

CoDEmanX

Postby CoDEmanX » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:43 am

You can do the first extrusion like:
- Extrude, ESC
- Shrink/Flatten

But if you do that side extrusion, it will use the face normal, in C4D it somehow knows that it's a sphere and uses different normal.
I'm sitting, waiting, wishing, building Blender in superstition...

Technolithic

Postby Technolithic » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:47 pm

Thanks CoDEmanX,

I've seen that same suggestion of extrude then shrink/flatten before I started down the road of posting in this forum about this and tried it out... It left me with overlapping geometry that left an undesirable side effect of messiness. Sometimes overlapping geometry would be nice to have with game worlds, but I'm trying for a clean, orderly theme that resembles classic arcade style in a 3D environment.

After having some more time to think about this, I've come up with another possible approach to a solution: Start with a sphere object, either icosphere or a UVsphere, and execute a script on said sphere that adds extrusions to every face by extruding each original vertex along its normal and forming the necessary faces. Then, after we've come up with this new "sphere" which could be called a StepSphere, if that's actually a good name for it, another tool could be developed specifically for use with this "StepSphere" that would assume each selected face was the outer faces of a StepSphere. The tool would provide some kind of interface to provide exact altitude and relative raise/lower input for the selected faces based on a pivot point (perhaps the Blender interface pivot selector could be used).

The purpose of having two separate "utilities" or tools is to simplify the work so that the tool doesn't have to know what to do at various stages of modeling the StepSphere and thus avoids development of complicated decision making code... But perhaps someone has an idea on how to incorporate all of this into one tool?

To me, my solution seems like it would be relatively easy to develop, but perhaps there's a better way to get the job done. It's not exactly like the solution illustrated in the video, but like you said somehow the program knows the object is a sphere... or at least it's doing some magic to find out what to do.

CoDEmanX

Postby CoDEmanX » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:51 pm

well, maybe an Inset operation on all faces but the ones you wanna stand out works... Not sure if it's really that easy. I wonder how C4D does this, could be quite complex algorithm (or trick, maybe works for newly created spheres only, but not after heavy changes to topology, we don't know)
I'm sitting, waiting, wishing, building Blender in superstition...

Return to “Interface & Tools”