Creating an MSI for education - Issue with shared mappings

Blender documentation projects, tutorials, translation, learning & teaching Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

gray.woodford

Creating an MSI for education - Issue with shared mappings

Postby gray.woodford » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:14 pm

Hello

Sorry if this has been posted before but I've been searching for a solution and can't find one on the internet so hoping you guys could help.

I work in a secondary school and we have a Community Connect 3 RM network here. I have created an MSI and can roll it out and it works but the issue I am having is in blender it allows all users to see all shares mapped on the computer they are using.

Normally staff and pupils are locked down to what drives they can see and would like to replicate this in blender itself.
I have tested and the user only has the permissions associated with the account they are using, so a pupil can see the c: but not write to it.

I was looking for a way to configure blender while I am creating an MSI so I can tell it what drives to see or not. There was some software call ScratchIT that was similar and that had an ini file I could edit to hide or show drives, is there a feature similar to this in blender at all?
http://scratch.mit.edu/

Would love to get this around the school and get pupils using it.

Thanks in advance

stiv

Postby stiv » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:45 am

Scratch is a programming language for kids, Blender is a tool for creating 3d content. Blender has access to whatever system facilities are available to the user.

This question came up once before, and as far as I know, there is no Blender-specific way to limit what it can see. Not a Windows Weenie, but I believe any access controls would have to be done at the OS level.

Hiding stuff may give the illusion of security, but based on experience, the little devils...er, students are more clever and determined than you think.

gray.woodford

Postby gray.woodford » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:39 am

stiv wrote:Scratch is a programming language for kids, Blender is a tool for creating 3d content. Blender has access to whatever system facilities are available to the user.

This question came up once before, and as far as I know, there is no Blender-specific way to limit what it can see. Not a Windows Weenie, but I believe any access controls would have to be done at the OS level.

Hiding stuff may give the illusion of security, but based on experience, the little devils...er, students are more clever and determined than you think.

The problem I am seeing though is blender is showing more system facilities to the user than they normally see. I have seen this in a few pieces of software in the past but they normally have a way to configure this.

Is there no way to do this in blender at all? :(

stiv

Postby stiv » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:37 pm

Not as far as I know. Blender lets you see whatever you have access to.

Return to “Documentation & Education”