Cycles Rendering - "Device" option is not there

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

bill2reg

Cycles Rendering - "Device" option is not there

Postby bill2reg » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:07 pm

When I select "Cycles Render" the render panel does change, and also the materials panel etc. But when I click the render (camera icon) I don't have an option to select the render device (CPU or GPU). There are two options, "Display" 'and "Feature Set". The "Feature Set" has two options - "Supported" and "Experimental". But in a tutorial I saw, there were two options under Render - "Display" and "Device". I'm using 2.62.0 with windows 7 64-bit and an ATI Radeon 1GB HD5570 graphics card.

RoboticGolem

Re: Cycles Rendering - "Device" option is not the

Postby RoboticGolem » Mon May 14, 2012 5:26 am

bill2reg wrote:When I select "Cycles Render" the render panel does change, and also the materials panel etc. But when I click the render (camera icon) I don't have an option to select the render device (CPU or GPU). There are two options, "Display" 'and "Feature Set". The "Feature Set" has two options - "Supported" and "Experimental". But in a tutorial I saw, there were two options under Render - "Display" and "Device". I'm using 2.62.0 with windows 7 64-bit and an ATI Radeon 1GB HD5570 graphics card.

If I remember correctly those options dissapeared in 2.61... but I cant be certain.

King_Moving

Postby King_Moving » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:02 pm

Hai guys, i have a same problem. :( :cry:

I'm using Blender2.64 with windows 7 64-bit and an ATI Mobility™ Radeon® HD 5145, 1G DDR3 VRAM

Please help me to resolve this problem. :roll:

stiv

Postby stiv » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:14 pm

Just a guess, but I would be surprised if ATI Mobility anything did GPU rendering.

Did you install the OpenCL stuff needed to support it?

King_Moving

Postby King_Moving » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:17 pm

actually I'm not so knowledgeable about OpenCL.

but, can you tell me what should I install it. :hope:

:D

King_Moving

Postby King_Moving » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:23 pm

ATI MOBILITY RADEON can not do GPU rendering?

:shock:

stiv

Postby stiv » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:37 am

I am far from being an authority on this subject but...

The whole point of GPU rendering is to use the awesome power of a modern graphics processor for rendering.

The point of mobility processors (and laptops in general) is to skimp and save on battery power, not to be rendering powerhouses.

In order to use GPU rendering, you need to install either the CUDA or OpenCL extra bits, depending on your processor.

CUDA is better supported in Blender (and in general)

All of the above are generalizations.

kbellis

Postby kbellis » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:04 am

Hello,

Does anybody know if / when the ATI GPUs will work with Blender?

Thanks!

Kelly

Blender 2.65a
Win 7 64-bit, 8 GB RAM, i7 8 core 860 @ 2.8 GHz
1-GB ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
Up to date ATI drivers installed

In Photoshop CS6, the Advanced Graphics Processor Settings is allowed to utilize the GPU, but in Blender, I see no options under the Blender User Preferences, System tab, Compute Device.

stiv

Postby stiv » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:37 am

Did you install the OpenCL stuff?

kbellis

Postby kbellis » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:15 pm

stiv wrote:Did you install the OpenCL stuff?

That's a great question! ... I have no idea.

Is there a particular KB article that you might point me to read more about this stuff? I'd be very thankful if you could.

Photoshop's indicators makes me think that (at least some) OpenCL stuff is already installed; see screen capture below, and in addition to the settings in PS having been ticked, the behavior in the Blur Gallery works fine along with Liquify, etc. which is why it seems OpenCL is working.

But if any OpenCL stuff is installed (as PS implies), it was not by my overtly and particularly doing so.

The Catalyst Control Center version is up to date which reports that the drivers are likewise up to date - see below.

Thanks again Stiv for your help.

Kelly

PS settings:

Radeon info:

kbellis

Postby kbellis » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:00 pm

PS. - Only CPU offered from Blender:

kbellis

Postby kbellis » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:49 pm

@ stiv - Well, after combing through the past several months of related threads on this subject, I'm guessing there isn't a comprehensive KB article dealing with this stuff yet - please correct me if I'm wrong :)

The other bit of information salient to this discussion appears to be tied to OpenCL
developed by the Khronos Group with no new updates from them since November 2011.

While developers may find much needed information in the "OpenCL™ Zone" this newbie to the Blenderlands found nothing pertinent from AMD's site.

More yet to read / study over at blenderartists.org, including:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthr ... ners/page4
however, the referenced archived article has me a bit anxious.

kbellis

Postby kbellis » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:44 pm

FWIW and specifically in regard to SivaS's thread: "A good news for AMD/ATI Graphic cards owners" - Blender 2.65a,

Code: Select all

#define __KERNEL_SHADING__
is already un-commented (no double // in front of line) at line 43 in

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.65\scripts\addons\cycles\kernel\kernel_types.h

That thread really should be closed!

King_Moving

Postby King_Moving » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:52 am

kbellis

Postby kbellis » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:34 pm

Greetings King,

Yes, thank you for showing what I had said earlier, namely that the remarking out of that call as originally referred to in SivaS's thread, had already been removed by the time 2.65a came along. Who knows how much sooner, but that is moot.

Thanks again.

Kelly

Return to “Rendering”