Previous Thread  Next Thread

chat icon 2.64a Mac PPC prebuild?

farbw3rk

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:52 pm
hi,

will there be ppc-support for 2.64 or prebuild binaries?
i may have missed the information, so sorry for the question.

stiv

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:38 pm
I don't think we have anyone maintaining PPC builds, which would make the answer no. Assuming you can compile the various libs on PPC and there is no OSX-related weirdness, I don't see why Blender could not be built.

Are you offering to be the PPC maintainer?

farbw3rk

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:18 am
thanks for the reply.
so there is a good chance the code would compile on PPC-Mac? i'll give it a try. a bit of tweaking to make the build go won't be a problem but i'm not a 'coder', esp. when it comes to hw-releated stuff - so maintaining the ppc-arch isn't the right job for me, i think.
anyway - if the build is ok i can post a download-link of the package if you like.

stiv

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:06 pm
Being a platform maintainer is more a matter of doing the builds than coding. You need to be technical enough to compile Blender yourself, but that is more about editing the configuration files.

Forgot to mention that you might find a build for your platform over on graphicall.org .

Good luck!

farbw3rk

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:30 pm
ok, thanks a lot.
i'll (re)set up my environment in leopard and give it a try. if it works and the position of a maintainer here is just doing the build and messing with the configs i'll do it as long as my spare time allows.
i'm a unix-sysadmin so this stuff is a common task but messing around with the code itself, diving deeper into it, would be too much and/or would take too much time.

i'd love to see my G5 doing some productive work...again. :)

Jump to: