Octane Render integrated plugin

Blender documentation projects, tutorials, translation, learning & teaching Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Octane Render integrated plugin

Postby Kavorka » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:19 pm

First off, I am in no way associated with Octane Render. I am a user who is trying to find out a way to allow someone to make an integrated plugin for the Octane render engine for Blender.

If you do not know what Octane Render is, here is the website:

They have been creating integrated plugins for other packages like 3dsMax and Maya, as well as others, but Blender has been left in the dust. My understanding is that this is mostly due to Blenders licensing and what it will allow other programs with a different (non open source) license to do.

Is there anyone that can give me any information on this or lead me in the right direction?
Or let me know if there is anyone who would like to work on an integrated plugin for Octane Render.

Postby stiv » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:57 pm

From their website:
Octane Render is a standalone application that doesn't require a specific modeling package to function. If your application can export to one of the supported file formats, you can use Octane Render.

Depending on the exact meaning of 'export to supported formats', you may already be there.

Postby Kavorka » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:09 am

There is an exporter that exports to the stand alone version of Octane Render, but no integrated plugin that uses Octane Render as the renderer for Blender.

Postby mib2berlin » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:16 pm

Hi, the problem is the plugin/addon has to be Closed Source and this collide with the GPL.
Maybe it is possible to develop a interlayer under GPL which inter-exchange with Octane but but you need a license expert before you think about developing.
All main 3d software has a Octane plugin and it is a great pity if it is not possible for Blender.

Cheers, mib.
P.S. The Octane Plugin mean a integration in Blender like Cycles.

Return to “Documentation & Education”