Can't connect mesh to armature...

Animation tools, character animation, non linear animation

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

simspace

Can't connect mesh to armature...

Postby simspace » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:15 pm

Hi All,

I'm new to blender and I've been having a great time learning this cool software.

But now I am stumped because, no matter what I do, I cannot animate the mesh after creating the parent/child relationship.

I have selected the mesh first then the armature and pressed CTRL-P and selected "with automatic weights" but they won't connect. The armature objects move but the mesh does not. I have tried this several different ways with no luck.

I think where I went wrong was that I did not select the mesh when I created the first bone. I tested this by copying my original .blend file and deleting the armature. I then selected the mesh and created the first bone. I extruded a few bones up to the head then tested it in pose mode and it worked properly.

Instead of deleting the entire armature and starting over, I'd like to learn how to connect an existing armature to an existing mesh.

You can download my .blend file here:
http://ge.tt/api/1/files/9tIER9S/0/blob?download

I removed all parent/child relationships, etc from the file. I wonder if someone can get the rigging to work and tell me how they did it because I am at a loss.

Thanks so much!
Chris S.
-Chris

CoDEmanX

Postby CoDEmanX » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:48 pm

it works for me, but deformation doesn't happen in realtime while posing the bones...

http://www.pasteall.org/blend/17652
I'm sitting, waiting, wishing, building Blender in superstition...

simspace

Postby simspace » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:56 pm

CoDEmanX wrote:it works for me, but deformation doesn't happen in realtime while posing the bones...

http://www.pasteall.org/blend/17652

Can you tell me how you did that?

How would I animate it if deformation doesn't happen in realtime while posing the bones?

Thanks!
-Chris

simspace

Postby simspace » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:07 pm

Ahhh... I got it. Thank you.

The mesh follows after the armature is positioned and and a LBM click to lock in the new armature position.

I tested the changes using the timeline and the animation works great!

I'm curious why the pose does not follow in realtime with this model? Any ideas?

Thanks!
-Chris

CoDEmanX

Postby CoDEmanX » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:03 pm

i used the automatic weights parenting, nothing else

and i found the culprit: select armature, go to armature tab > Display and untick "Delay refresh"
I'm sitting, waiting, wishing, building Blender in superstition...

simspace

Postby simspace » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:23 pm

CoDEmanX wrote:i used the automatic weights parenting, nothing else

and i found the culprit: select armature, go to armature tab > Display and untick "Delay refresh"

Awesome! Nice job.

There are so many options. I tried a bunch without success. That was not one of them. :shock:

Thanks so much.
-Chris

Return to “Animation”